Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a question nev asked here on the quiz got me thinking.
i was having a discussion on another forum when someone asked how to create a green and white budgie - of which none known exist at this moment in time.

it was pointed out that unless 2 embryos fuse and there is anomoly, this isn't possible.

so i got to thinking about type 1 yellowface budgies and how a double factor yellowface has a white face.

curiosity has overtaken me now!!

i have done a lot of reading and have found out that it is possible to get a yellowfaced green budgie - it is just hard to tell because they always have a yellow mask.

so how do you tell if a green budgie is a yellowface?

without knowing this, you would have to breed yourself to know for sure.

is this how you'd do it?
*breed 2 sf type 1 blue yf to produce some df type 1 blue yf offspring.
*breed a green normal with one of the blue offspring to produce sf type 1 yf chicks.
but what percentage of the greens would be yellowface? and how would you know?

then after that, you would breed 2 of the green sf yellowfaces together and hopefully, if you kept trying end up with a white faced green at some point.

this is all theory and conjecture - if it was really as easy as all of that, the whiteface green would already exist.
but the possibilities are blowing my mind!!!

some ideas would be great.
or some theories of your own as to how to produce green and white chicks

i am really just curious as to whether the THEORY is correct. lol. or if it is something others have thought about.

excuse the long post

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
um i dont think you really can know if a green budgie is a yellowface because they already have a yellow face anyways. unless of course you breed them.

if you did the thing you said, i think all the greens would be yellowface. because the blue is a df and therefore must pass on one of the yellowface genes.

lol good luck on finding a whitefaced green! an sorry i im wrong

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
is this how you'd do it?
*breed 2 sf type 1 blue yf to produce some df type 1 blue yf offspring.
*breed a green normal with one of the blue offspring to produce sf type 1 yf chicks.
but what percentage of the greens would be yellowface? and how would you know?

then after that, you would breed 2 of the green sf yellowfaces together and hopefully, if you kept trying end up with a white faced green at some point.

this is all theory and conjecture - if it was really as easy as all of that, the whiteface green would already exist.
but the possibilities are blowing my mind!!!
I don't think it would work because even if you managed to produce a green double factor type 1 yellow face the mutation would still be hidden by the green bird's normal yellow face

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
um i dont think you really can know if a green budgie is a yellowface because they already have a yellow face anyways. unless of course you breed them.

if you did the thing you said, i think all the greens would be yellowface. because the blue is a df and therefore must pass on one of the yellowface genes.

lol good luck on finding a whitefaced green! an sorry i im wrong
thanks fox :)

I don't think it would work because even if you managed to produce a green double factor type 1 yellow face the mutation would still be hidden by the green bird's normal yellow face
ahh! i forgot about that.
i wondered why if there was a way you could do it that wasn't so hard, they didn't already exist LOL.
i got so excited earlier because a picture was shown of a whitefaced budgie - but it turned out it wasn't, it was just a really pale yellow lol.
thank you for clearing that up nev :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.