Mauve ****
Cinnamon spangle green hen

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Budgiebud,

Honestly I've not looked at the other's comments...so let's try:

All cocks, except no.1....

1) Light-Green Cinnamon Spangle - almost same as no. 5 (are they related?); cannot be split for Opaline as hen....BUT unlike no.5 has only "grey only cheek patches" - does that say anything about being "split Greywing"?;

2) Sky-Blue Dominant Pied ("thumb-print spot" to back of head);

3) Sky-Blue Opaline spangle...I think I see body colour inbetween spangle wing markings, thus Opaline;

4) Grey Cobalt Blue (in one pic looks to be), likely others show more like Mauve Blue;

5) Light-Green Cinnamon Spangle /(split) Opaline...opaline due to less head barring to side of face...purple+grey cheek patches?

Now I'll check what the experts said...has anyone have comments on the Opaline and/or Cinnamon I'm seeing...or if some "split" will be visible?

Thx,
Jacodk

·
Registered
281 Posts
....continue....

..looks like there are confusion with sexes between bird no. 1 and 5....

any pointers Budgiebud, what the cere looks like in natural light?

·
Registered
281 Posts
..Yip, looking at no.5 again..it's definitely a hen!...so I agree with Nev on no. 1 & 5 being hens!

...which means no.5 can no longer be split Opaline...

..at least that simplifies the parents, else if both **** & hen chicks (shown here, if related) from same nest...both parents had to have Opaline in them....is this correct Nev?

·
Registered
281 Posts
...continue....

do try prove me wrong on this one!:-

Bird no.3 is definitely Opaline....see body colour in upper wing markings to top-right inset of back/shoulders!

I like the "combined inset pictorials" of your birds Budgiebud...it clearly gives all angles of the bird!...thx 4 showing...any comments?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1- Light green spangle -Male
2- Sky blue Dominant Pied -male
3- Sky Violet Spangle -Male
4- Mauve - Male
5- Light Green Spangle Cinnamon - Female
Spangle light green hen
Dominant pied sky blue ****
Spangle sky blue ****
Mauve ****
Cinnamon spangle green hen

Thank you for your input! :)

Just as learning experience for all here...

Do you see any cinnamon in number 2, because I see some brown.

What is the difference between number 1 and 5, which makes one Spangle and the other one Cinnamon Spangle? Because both have brown in wing feathers. Is it the feet color?

Don't you see any Opaline at all in 4? Because I see some blue in feathers. Is it because it is not spreading throughout the feathers of the wings and neck.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Budgiebud,

Honestly I've not looked at the other's comments...so let's try:

All cocks, except no.1....

1) Light-Green Cinnamon Spangle - almost same as no. 5 (are they related?); cannot be split for Opaline as hen....BUT unlike no.5 has only "grey only cheek patches" - does that say anything about being "split Greywing"?;

2) Sky-Blue Dominant Pied ("thumb-print spot" to back of head);

3) Sky-Blue Opaline spangle...I think I see body colour inbetween spangle wing markings, thus Opaline;

4) Grey Cobalt Blue (in one pic looks to be), likely others show more like Mauve Blue;

5) Light-Green Cinnamon Spangle /(split) Opaline...opaline due to less head barring to side of face...purple+grey cheek patches?

Now I'll check what the experts said...has anyone have comments on the Opaline and/or Cinnamon I'm seeing...or if some "split" will be visible?

Thx,
Jacodk
Thank you! :)

I have similar doubts. I have put up a few questions, let's see what are the reasons?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
..Yip, looking at no.5 again..it's definitely a hen!...so I agree with Nev on no. 1 & 5 being hens!

...which means no.5 can no longer be split Opaline...

..at least that simplifies the parents, else if both **** & hen chicks (shown here, if related) from same nest...both parents had to have Opaline in them....is this correct Nev?
I have just purchased the birds yesterday, so I don't have any idea? It can only be confirmed after breeding them.

Maybe Nev can give us some idea about it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...continue....

Bird no.3 is definitely Opaline....see body colour in upper wing markings to top-right inset of back/shoulders!

I like the "combined inset pictorials" of your birds Budgiebud...it clearly gives all angles of the bird!...thx 4 showing...any comments?
I also thought so about 3, but maybe because it is not spreading throughout the feathers of the wings and neck. Let's see what other say?

Thank you! :) Actually it is very difficult to tell mutation by watching one picture only. So I prefer to take a few in different lights and combine together.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts

There is quite a bit of opalescence showing in bird number 3 but he is not an opaline.

Some people believe that opalescence is a sign of being split for opaline but often spangles that are not split for opaline show opalescence

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't know much about mutations but I'm pretty posotive that they all star with "beau" and end with "tiful" :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.