Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few random questions :p

If you have a double factor dominant pied, and breed with a normal budgie with no pied markings (any colours except inos), will you get all single factor dominant pied chicks?

Similar with the violet mutation, if you have say a double factor violet, paired to a budgie with no violet, will all babies be single factor violet?

Again with dark factors, if you breed a mauve with a sky blue, or olive to light green will all young be cobalt or dark green respectively?

I'm wondering if it's really that simple or if I'm missing some other factors that come into it :p I'm still a bit iffy on what factors cause these genes to transfer into the phenotype, but then i'm not sure if I've been over complicating it in my mind haha, thanks for the help :D

ooooh, also, with no splits present, what would the outcome be from two cobalts? Cheers :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm not very good at this, but I'll try...
1. DF dominant pied x normal will make SF dominant pied budgies
2. SF violet x normal will make half SF violet and half normal budgies and DF violet x normal will make SF budgies
3. 2 dark factors (e.g mauve) x 0 dark factors (e.g sky) will make 1 dark factor budgies (e.g cobalt)
4. Cobalt x cobalt will make half cobalt, 25% sky and the other 25% mauve
Hope this helps :D

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not very good at this, but I'll try...
1. DF dominant pied x normal will make SF dominant pied budgies
2. SF violet x normal will make half SF violet and half normal budgies and DF violet x normal will make SF budgies
3. 2 dark factors (e.g mauve) x 0 dark factors (e.g sky) will make 1 dark factor budgies (e.g cobalt)
4. Cobalt x cobalt will make half cobalt, 25% sky and the other 25% mauve
Hope this helps :D
Thank you :D the way you explain is is pretty much what I was expecting except the cobalts at the end, I wasn't sure on that one, I would have thought the chicks would get a dark factor off each parent and turn out mauve but was hoping not in case I did ever want to breed my Marli with Bobbit, I think they are both cobalt, although Marli is violet and dilute/greywing (something like that, she's in my avatar) so could be double factor violet skyblue, not sure! Bob is cobalt, so some violet cobalts from the pairing should turn up?

How about a cobalt with a sky blue? :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank you :D the way you explain is is pretty much what I was expecting except the cobalts at the end, I wasn't sure on that one, I would have thought the chicks would get a dark factor off each parent and turn out mauve but was hoping not in case I did ever want to breed my Marli with Bobbit, I think they are both cobalt, although Marli is violet and dilute/greywing (something like that, she's in my avatar) so could be double factor violet skyblue, not sure! Bob is cobalt, so some violet cobalts from the pairing should turn up?

How about a cobalt with a sky blue? :p
No problem! Sky x cobalt will make half sky and half cobalt, as simple as that :) If Marli has violet in her, I'm sure you'd get some violet budgies then :D

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thank you :D so even if she was sky violet I could get cobalt violet with Bob as the daddy, and possibly some yellow face ones, and that's without considering any splits! oooooh the possibilities :D still it's a bit late in the year for me to get all the supplies and start breeding, and Bob is under a year, plus Suki had that bleed (and I'd like to put at least 2 pairs down in case anything goes wrong, Suki and Skylar being the other pair I'd choose, maybe Nemo and Serena as a third pair :p) but I may ask a lot of questions in case I want to give it a go next year, I'm starting to consider it :p thank you so much for the help :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Awesome thank you :D so even if she was sky violet I could get cobalt violet with Bob as the daddy, and possibly some yellow face ones, and that's without considering any splits! oooooh the possibilities :D still it's a bit late in the year for me to get all the supplies and start breeding, and Bob is under a year, plus Suki had that bleed (and I'd like to put at least 2 pairs down in case anything goes wrong, Suki and Skylar being the other pair I'd choose, maybe Nemo and Serena as a third pair :p) but I may ask a lot of questions in case I want to give it a go next year, I'm starting to consider it :p thank you so much for the help :D
It's all very exciting :D No problem, happy to help!

·
Crazy budgie lady
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you :D I'd love to know what hidden genetics my budgies are carrying, would be so interesting. My mother still has Marcie the violet grey opaline yellow face, she is bonded to a sky blue normal english ****, could be interesting :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.