Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi genetics experts :)
I have a question about cinnamons. From the few cinnamons I have seen, the colour of their markings really varies. How come some are very light brown and others are close to black?

I have a hen that doesn't have black markings and they're not brown either. I'm really not sure if she is cinnamon or not?
Are there different types or something like that?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
From what Barrie has said there are lighter ones and darker ones. He says look at the quill to determine if they are cinnamon. That's about all I know besides it's sex linked and the female cannot pass the gene on. I know not much help, lol.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Females can't pass it on? Oh how crappy. :( I guess I won't be having any little Cinnabon babies.
Hold on, I'm second guessing myself here. She can pass it onto her sons. But I'm thinking if I remember right they will be split for it not visual. I have the same problem, cinnamon hen.

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts

Hold on, I'm second guessing myself here. She can pass it onto her sons. But I'm thinking if I remember right they will be split for it not visual. I have the same problem.

So, her sons will have daughters that will be little Cinnabons? :D That's okay with me! That's what I thought, but I figured you knew what you were talking about, so who was I to say differently? :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
So, her sons will have daughters that will be little Cinnabons? :D That's okay with me! That's what I thought, but I figured you knew what you were talking about, so who was I to say differently? :D
Her sons will be split for cinnamon. Then you can breed one of her sons to a normal and you have potential to get cinnamons. Sorry about that. :eek:

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
cinnamons will have plum eyes, they say it fades when they get older but i can still see it quite clearly and photos pick it up :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Her sons will be split for cinnamon. Then you can breed one of her sons to a normal and you have potential to get cinnamons. Sorry about that. :eek:
What if you bred the son to a cinnamon hen? Would your chance of cinnamons increase?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for all the reponses! :)
Teasha, this is gonna sound stupid but what part of the wing is the quill exactly? :p

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
it is the hard sheath down the middle that all the (barbs) feathery bits are attached to. the best place to check is on a long tail feather quill.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Cinnamon marking vary considerably. Some are very light and others can be almost black. Like any other sex linked mutation the females will pass the gene to their sons in a split form. To get visual females the gene must come from the male and to get visual males the gene must come from both parents.

The son of a cinnamon hen mated to another cinnamon hen would produce about 50% cinnamons of both sexes

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is the hard sheath down the middle that all the (barbs) feathery bits are attached to. the best place to check is on a long tail feather quill.
Thank you so much Tonic :) Is there anything that would look different on the quill of a cinnamon than that of a normal budgie?

Cinnamon marking vary considerably. Some are very light and others can be almost black. Like any other sex linked mutation the females will pass the gene to their sons in a split form. To get visual females the gene must come from the male and to get visual males the gene must come from both parents.

The son of a cinnamon hen mated to another cinnamon hen would produce about 50% cinnamons of both sexes
Wow! So much great info Nev-thank you so much :)
I will try to find a good picture of her and put it up later tonight, hopefully to get a confirmation :)

G

·
Cinnamons have a body colour dilution of 50% and so are greywings. I think the cheek patches and tail feathers tell them apart.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The feet and legs will be pink, the quill ( the line running down the centre of the tail will show the cinnamon brown colour).

The cinnamon can be hidden(split) in a **** but not in a hen)

Pairing cinnamon to cinnamon can then darken the birds markings to almost black ( not always)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. This is the best shot I could find of Mocha :) If you need a better one, I'll try to take one of her today.
So far her confirmed mutation is violet skyblue recessive pied spangle :)

Thanks in advance :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
She doesn't look cinnamon to me. She looks very similar to my spangle recessive pieds, they have light markings but they are not cinnamon

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She doesn't look cinnamon to me. She looks very similar to my spangle recessive pieds, they have light markings but they are not cinnamon
Thank you so much Nev :)
That is excatly what I was wondering about (whether the recessive pied & spangle combination is doing that to her wing markings).
Karma coming your way!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.