Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am terribly confused by the genetics and mutations and mostly it has to do with trying to read things online. For some reason I absorb things better when I have them in print, curl up with it and then write it out. So I am looking for a good book that I can purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,128 Posts
"Budgerigars" by Cyril Rogers is a pretty good book. It is an older book so it may be hard to find. I bought it second hand somewhere.

Most budgie books in stores will have a section on genetics.

·
Registered
590 Posts
He does a really good job in that book.

It is text dense.

You could look for a basic High School level biology book that will explain the punnett square, dominance/recessive, linked alleles like sex-linking, and some other basics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Basic genetics I have a grasp on. (I felt obligated to learn as much as I could about genetics because my son has a sex linked clotting disorder.) I keep my college text book around as a refresher. I was looking for something budgie specific and haven't been able to find one. With where I live I know I will have to order it/hunt for it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Birdtalk has a Magazine just for Budgies. It is great on mutations. You can find them at your local pet stores. Hope that helps.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
the only book i have is " A quick and easy guide to keepind a budgie"

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Budgerigars" by Cyril Rogers is a pretty good book. It is an older book so it may be hard to find. I bought it second hand somewhere.

Most budgie books in stores will have a section on genetics.
Do you mean Budgerigars in colour by A Rutgers edited by Cyril Rogers? That is a great book. and yes you may fid it difficult to find, I found my copy in a second hand book shop, it was a fluke that I even found it there, I was on holiday in a litle town and saw a second hand book shop... great find!

This book has pictures of just about every kind of Budgie and then it has a chart in the back on genetics....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.