Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking your forums since I bought my first budgie about 6 months ago and finally decided to register up and post. I figured I'd start by posting a a couple of my budgies. Would anyone be able to help me out with the mutations of these little girls?

The one dressed in yellow is Charles Montgomery Burns. I know, not a girls name but look at that face.;) And in the white; Alfredo. You can see she also has some blue on her bum, belly and a little bit by the cheeks.

In case it causes any confusion the gray horizontal lines are shadows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could very well be a male, I'm very new to this and you would probably know better than I.

Monty is about 6 months old, Alfredo would be about three months older.

G

·
Lovely budgies. Monty looks like a clearflight split for recessive pied. I expect her to have a clear patch on her head and a yellow face type 2. Alfredo is a dark eyed clear with black eyes and no iris rings. This is the mutation shown by this picture. A little blue is normal since she is a blue series bird.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much! Would you have any knowledge as to the gender of Monty? I always thought "she" was female.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Charles Montgomery Burns is a yellow face clearwing dominant pied sky blue. Not sure of the sex (if the photo was taken with a flash probably male). The bright body colour shows the clearwing mutation, the clear areas on the lower body and the flight feathers show the dominant pied. A very beautiful bird

Alfredo is a recessive pied male. As he has so few markings it is possible that he has another mutation as well. I would doubt that he is a dark eyed clear with such a definite patch of blue showing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the pictures may be a bit deceiving. Alfredos cere is pink and I am almost positive is female (but really what do I know). Montys cere does not usually appear so blue, but I am not as sure.

Either way I was mostly interested in mutation. Tomorrow I will take a better picture and post it. Thank you everyone for your help! I was very curious and would never have figured it out myself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pink is male, not female. Light blue with a overall whitishness is female in a young budgie, or one out of condition. With some mutations, males stay pink their whole lives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With some mutations, males stay pink their whole lives.
WOW thank you so much! Now I am very glad I posted!

I suppose I was a little mislead by some of the other info I read (obviously wasn't looking in the right places), Also comparing them both to another budgie I have who is definitely male, and how different the ceres were.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.