Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody. After procrastinating for a long time, here's the pictures of my current bird family. The budgies Louis (green) and Luna(white). I have Louis and Luna for 10 months. Nori is my very first lovebird. Last time I posted about my Nori eating his seeds without leaving any husk behind.

Nori is around 7 weeks, and the breeder told me he was refusing formula already, so he concluded he was weaned. When I got him I decided to give him baby formula just in case. The breeder was right, he was extremely difficult to be fed. He munched on his bird seeds already. I had this experience when I got Louis, and Louis was quick to pick on the solid food, so after 3 days of difficult feeding, I stopped the formula on Nori.

Yesterday morning his cage was a mess because he threw his bird seeds all around. He was munching on some, and as I said, he didn't leave any husk, which weirded me out, but I decided to leave it for another day. This morning I tried introducing him to broccoli and carrot mash. He seemed rather agitated all day and struggling with his seed bowl. I checked his weight, it was below 40 grams. At this point I was worried on how little he ate. So I decided to give him formula again.

Long and behold, Nori opened his beak without a fight. Turns out he was starving, which broke my heart to pieces. After the feeding, his weight bounced back to 50 grams.

It seems like my experience on budgies is not very dependable at lovebirds.

Another thing, is it okay for the budgies to meet the new baby?

Attachments

· Administrator
60,914 Posts
Awww, poor little Nori. :(
I'm glad he's accepting his formula now. :thumbsup:
It sounds as though the breeder should have kept Nori for another week or so to ensure there was no regression and give the little guy time to learn how to crack his seeds properly.

I know under your loving care Nori will soon learn to open them on his own and will be the healthy and happy little fellow he's meant to be.

Although his eyes are shut in the picture you posted, he looks to be a lutino Fischers Lovebird. Am I correct?
Nori is a cutie and I'll be looking forward to lots of pictures and updates about him. :D

Louis and Luna are quite a lovely pair of budgies!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@FaeryBee

I took that photo when Nori was sleeping behind my comic books.

I got Louis from this same breeder, and I asked him if he got a lovebird. He posted me the picture of my yet-to-be lovebird when he was 2 weeks old. I gave him OK and waited until he grew up. The thing is, for some reason the breeder was pestering me for weeks, asking me if I was really going to buy the bird, as if he was panicking. I was wondering why, but I decided not to ask. He did have a status on FB quoting that he was in need of money. I just said to him that I would take that bird for sure. Finally, because I was rather tired of the constant bugging, I decided to take the bird rather early.

Even now the breeder kept sending me pictures of more birds, asking if I'm interested.

So birds can regress huh? New thing to know.

· Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
I'm glad Nori took the formula, at 7 weeks old he was still in the process of weaning and shouldn't have been sold so soon. The breeder should have made sure Nori was actually cracking open the seeds and eating them and see if the little one was self sufficient when it comes to feeding.
Keep on hand feeding formula to keep Nori's appetite going and also offer him the seed mix, millet spray, egg food and chopped up veggies.

If it weren't for the required quarantine time, your little Nori could actually learn to eat his seeds by watching the budgies do it. This would also further encourage him to work on dehusking the seeds and truly learn how to eat.

As you must have already realized your Nori's beak is much stronger and bigger than a budgie's beak and can do a lot of damage, so all interactions between these two species must be very closely supervised. Since your Nori is still a chick, there are better chances for him to be properly socialized and to behave well around your budgies, but still you will need to keep a close eye on all interactions between them and intervene when needed.

Nori really is a fischer's lovebird. And depending on the eye colour, he can be a lutino or dark-eyed clear.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About that, today I decided to let the budgies to at least catch a glimpse of Nori (Nori was in his cage and the budgies were outside, and I put a distance between them). Nori was rather interested in the budgies. When the budgies saw Nori though, they immediately flew away. Is there any proper way to introduce lovebird to budgies?

· Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
About that, today I decided to let the budgies to at least catch a glimpse of Nori (Nori was in his cage and the budgies were outside, and I put a distance between them). Nori was rather interested in the budgies. When the budgies saw Nori though, they immediately flew away. Is there any proper way to introduce lovebird to budgies?
The way to introduce them is basically the same as if you were to introduce a new budgie (first meeting out of the cage on neutral territory), only you will have to be more careful and fully ready to intervene at the first sign of threat of aggression.

It's very likely your budgies had that reaction because this is the first time they have ever seen a lovebird and since Nori is foreign to them, they decided to fly away from him. It will take time for your budgies to get used to Nori and they may not be interested in having a closer interaction with him.

Nori was interested in them because he is still a weaning chick and at this stage of development and he is still somewhat vulnerable and looking for comfort from the birdie parents, making him more open and receptive to socialize and bond with other birds that in this case aren't the same species as he is.

· Registered
12,566 Posts
Nori is so sweet, I am sure with lots of love and care he will soon be a big healthy lovie. It is good you are taking such great care of him weighing any bird is a great tool in fighting off sickness.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
What a sweet little ball of fluff!

Glad he found a good owner in you and that you are giving him the care the breeder should have. Don't get me started on that topic!

You've been given great advice.

Keep us posted on his progress and yes, more photos please ;)

P.S your budgies are adorable also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.