Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am arranging to get a hand fed budgie but he is a couple of states over. I have a choice of two. One who I think is a male and the other I think is female. I am pretty good at sexing baby budgies. But not seeing them in person and in a pic always makes things a bit harder to tell for sure. So...... the one I think is male is an opaline. I know this is a big female trait. I was wondering how often you get opaline males..... and or if someone could explain the opaline trait more in depth for me. Because I'm pretty sure the cute little ****** is male :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Opaline is sex-linked so females are more common than males. A male opaline must have a visual opaline mother because to get an opaline male the gene must come from both parents and a female must be visual to carry the gene.

If the mother is not an opaline you can be sure the chick is not a male. If she is opaline there is a 50% chance that the chick is a male

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. So this is basically the same as tiel sex linked genetics. Thanks for clearing that up. Hmmmmm Ok then. Well I have no clue what the mother is. I got my currrent budgie from the same breeder. She is an opaline and is a female. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.