Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to why Truffle has bars on her forehead when she is definitely a mature bird. Don't most adults have clear foreheads? Mutations are a fascinating thing, which I do not understand one bit! hehe.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That is like Storm, I thought mature budgies were meant to have a clear cap when mature. Storms 'aint clear at all!

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
I know different mutations can play with the forehead bars. My recessive pied still has her bars which I believe is normal for this mutation. Apparently Opaline can also keep the bars but this is considered a fault. Hopefully someone with more experience can help give you a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
She look like a he in that picture.
Looks like a blue cere.
But maybe its just the picture.
Very pretty.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Adult

The bars are indeed a fault, but because of it you have a nice budgie that is not good for the show bench. If you decide to breed this bird, try breeding it to another opaline to clear the head issue.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budgie:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She look like a he in that picture.
Looks like a blue cere.
But maybe its just the picture.
Very pretty.
Here cere is definitely not blue! Must be the way the picture is showing up on your screen. It's a dark brown and a bit crusty looking if you look close. :)

The bars are indeed a fault, but because of it you have a nice budgie that is not good for the show bench. If you decide to breed this bird, try breeding it to another opaline to clear the head issue.

Blessings,

Jo Ann:budgie:
Thanks! I don't ever plan on breeding unless she lays fertile eggs and I can't bring myself to throw them out. But she and Sprite aren't even really bonded yet so it's the furthest thing from my mind.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually find the forehead bars attractive, fault or not! I don't give a hoot whether or not she's show quality. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.