Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone advise the differences between the two please. I have a pair the **** bird is pure white with dark eyes and the hen a very light yellow with dark eyes. Would they be DF Spangles or dark eyed clears?

Reason for asking 1 of their chicks has come out with the hens colouring but the last couple of days I have noticed come violet neck and chest markings (I don't think they would show on a photo though)

Many thanks

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
As far as I understand , DF spangle develope iris's when they mature while DEC have no iris threw out their life. You can also tell by their chicks mutation out comes, I would be safe to assume if you get SF spangles, the parent would be a DF spangle.

;)

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this is what has slightly thrown me Stacey as their first clutch all the chicks were either all white or all light yellow so this time around to have violet markings confused me slightly.

I don't knowthe history of the parents as I bought them as a breeding pair - I'll see if I can get a proper good look at their eyes

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm not too sure I can help but one of my budgies, Milo, is a DF spangle. He is all yellow with little white cheek patches and he has rings round his irises.

Here are a couple of pics of Milo:

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

:p

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
I think this is what has slightly thrown me Stacey as their first clutch all the chicks were either all white or all light yellow so this time around to have violet markings confused me slightly.

I don't knowthe history of the parents as I bought them as a breeding pair - I'll see if I can get a proper good look at their eyes
I accidently kept writing DF dom. Pied...why ? I really dont know my mind was off in lala land :rolleyes:

Lets hope Nev or Berrie comes soon :) They are fantastic with genetics ( my post is fixed also :p )

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:giggle: that happens to me too - la la land is sometimes a much better place than the reality :laughing:

·
Registered
148 Posts
both parents could be dark-eyed clear the hen sounds like she's yellowface type 2 as well- since DEC is a combo of recessive pied(must carry 2 factors) and clearflight pied (needs only 1 factor) there is a possibility that you may get a reccesive pied out of a pair of DEC's who are single factor for clearflight pied- also be sure your birds' eyes are just dark and not red. Red would mean ino and not DEC and the inheritence pattern would be very different. As for the hen's light yellow -clear and ino varieties effect the blue/black pigments only, even cinnamon shows thru, so the yellow is an entirely separate matter- as for the chick's coloring- DEC could mask any number of other mutations in the parents- for instance violet and dilute or greywing- my Shiva is sf violet sky blue, but also dilute, so from a distance she appears to be clear unless there is something white to compare her to.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if they have an iris they are likely df spangles. in which case you would expect to get df spangle chicks from them. they can sometimes have a little colour, usually it is quite pale...

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
They sound like they are both double factor spangles. The hen is probably a type 2 yellow face. Their chicks should be about 50% white double factor spangles & 50% yellow face double factor spangles. It is quite common for double factor spangles to show a suffusion of colour which is probably what you see in the chicks

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
They sound like they are both double factor spangles. The hen is probably a type 2 yellow face. Their chicks should be about 50% white double factor spangles & 50% yellow face double factor spangles. It is quite common for double factor spangles to show a suffusion of colour which is probably what you see in the chicks
Oh Nev. You beat me to it, with the suffusion part.

Here is one of my **** birds, Phantom. He is a YF DF Spangle. He has suffusion in his as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.