Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m new to site and to budgies. I use the site for information (it’s awesome, thanks) but I need some more advice please. And I’d like to say hi too😊

We got our first little lady ‘Bluebell’ nearly 4 weeks ago. She is now roughly 10 weeks old. She didn’t have the best introduction to life with us as I made a couple of poor decisions based on the advice given to me by the ‘approved breeder’ I found online. Anyway, we are now at the point where she will willingly step only my finger or hand inside the cage. She occasionally comes out for a fly around but tends to stick to the same spots and will then head back to her cage.
She’s not a very lively little lady and I’m sure she’s quite lonely when we’re not here (which isn’t that often, just a few hours in the mornings). We always intended in getting another budgie after 4 or 5 weeks but I decided to do it sooner (Enter ‘Albus’ stage left) as we have to quarantine the wee chap for a month anyway. I’m hoping I can work on taming/bonding both of them in their separate rooms.
I decided to go to a breeder closer to home so the bird wouldn’t have such a traumatic journey. And it was good to see him in the flesh and feathers before deciding. However, he was much less expensive and the breeder said there was no need for quarantine and I’m now questioning my decision 😳. But, he is here and I want to make sure I get it right for both of them.
They are in different cages in different rooms but they can hear each other and regularly call to each other. Bluebell seems interested, Albus is going crazy trying to get out of his cage. I know all birds have their own personalities but he is very different so far! He doesn’t seem too shy. He will happily hop onto a hand or finger but it’s just to try and get out.
he did get out once and stayed at the top of the wardrobe until I tricked him down with recorded budgie noises.
So, after that overload of information, I have a couple of questions for you experienced budgie parents…
How do I tame and bond with Albus when he just tries to fly out whenever I put my hand in?
Is he truly a male? I have my suspicions as the breeder seemed to have her own ideas about quarantine, etc and I don’t know if I trust her judgment…
I’ve attached some pics of both of them.
thanks to all😊

Bird Light Parrot Beak Pet supply

Bird Beak Organism Mammal Fence

Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Feather

Forgot to post pics🤪

first is Bluebell. Blue white is Albus

· Administrator
60,638 Posts
Bluebell and Albus are both very beautiful!

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgie or force him to be touched.
To bond with your budgie, you need to build his trust in you.
He will have to learn over time that you will not hurt him, grab him and try to force him to allow you to hold him.

To build your budgie’s trust, sit by his cage and read, talk or sing quietly to him for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After about a week, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to him so he will learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt him.

After a week of resting your hand on the outside of the cage, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk to him.
If Albus tries to fly out of the cage, either drape a towel over the opening and insert your arm from the side to ensure he cannot escape or, sit right up against the cage blocking the opening with your body so he cannot get out.
Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch him.
Let him get used to the idea that the hand is now in his safe place and not harming him.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your bird. If he becomes agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until he calms down. When he is comfortable with your hand near him, you can offer them a bit of millet or a few seeds.

Always work at your bird’s pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to him whenever you interact with him.

Most budgies once they pass the "baby" stage, do not like to be petted or touched.

If your budgie does like to be petted, you should only ever pet his head, neck or chest area.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

If you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Stroking a budgie's back and/or tail stimulates its breeding instinct,
Bonding means allowing your budgie to choose to be with you.

· Registered
19 Posts
Thank you. I think so but then I’m bias😚. Do you think Albus is indeed a male?
I am not sure but then again the others have answered saying it is a boy. With the colour of the cere I would have guessed female but, I have a sister who has a budgie who has a pink cere as well. I searched up on it and I found out he is a recessive pied which makes his cere pink. And is often mistaken for a hen. I am still needing a lot of experience with budgies so I would definitely agree on what the others are saying (that it is a boy). I hope you and Albus become great friends and companions.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you
Bluebell and Albus are both very beautiful!

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgie or force him to be touched.
To bond with your budgie, you need to build his trust in you.
He will have to learn over time that you will not hurt him, grab him and try to force him to allow you to hold him.

To build your budgie’s trust, sit by his cage and read, talk or sing quietly to him for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After about a week, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to him so he will learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt him.

After a week of resting your hand on the outside of the cage, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk to him.
If Albus tries to fly out of the cage, either drape a towel over the opening and insert your arm from the side to ensure he cannot escape or, sit right up against the cage blocking the opening with your body so he cannot get out.
Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch him.
Let him get used to the idea that the hand is now in his safe place and not harming him.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your bird. If he becomes agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until he calms down. When he is comfortable with your hand near him, you can offer them a bit of millet or a few seeds.

Always work at your bird’s pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to him whenever you interact with him.

Most budgies once they pass the "baby" stage, do not like to be petted or touched.

If your budgie does like to be petted, you should only ever pet his head, neck or chest area.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

If you have mixed genders, it is very important to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Stroking a budgie's back and/or tail stimulates its breeding instinct,
Bonding means allowing your budgie to choose to be with you.
thank you for the helpful advice. I will definitely read more.
Albus is very outgoing and seems to really want attention. He’s responding really well to the kids talking to him and to me and my eldest hand feeding him! Today, we let him out to explore (it’s a small bedroom) and he seemed so at ease. He was flying and walking around exploring. He would land on the bed next to us or on us to have a nosey. It was amazing!
I can’t wait to see how they get along with each other when quarantine is over🥰
I will definitely familiarise myself with hormonal behaviours and how to discourage eggs.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure but then again the others have answered saying it is a boy. With the colour of the cere I would have guessed female but, I have a sister who has a budgie who has a pink cere as well. I searched up on it and I found out he is a recessive pied which makes his cere pink. And is often mistaken for a hen. I am still needing a lot of experience with budgies so I would definitely agree on what the others are saying (that it is a boy). I hope you and Albus become great friends and companions.
Hi. Thanks for the reply I thought the same about the cere🤔 but then, I have zero experience. It would be pretty strange if we ended up with a male Bluebell and a female Albus😳. As long as they’re both healthy, happy and get along then I don’t really mind😊

· Super Moderator
20,176 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums,

Albus and Bluebell are very beautiful; Bluebell is indeed a girl and Albus is a boy. In response to the above comment, while the poster's budgie was recessive pied, Albus' mutation is cobalt spangle. The reason his cere is pink is because all young males, regardless of mutation, have pink ceres, which may or may not turn blue later depending on their mutation. Young females have whitish or pale blue ceres with no pink that are often more matte in appearance which turn brown when they are mature and in breeding condition. Albus' cere will turn blue when he gets older.

Both are gorgeous and you've come to the best place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices :) FaeryBee has offered excellent advice; please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" as well to ensure you're up to date on everything.

We hope to hear updates on Albus and Bluebell soon!

Cheers :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.