Talk Budgies Forums banner

Advise on budgie proofing doorways?

184 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  karenblodgett3261
Hi guys,

As Pippi is growing more adventurous I'm starting feel a little bad about constraining him to just my office, it's not the biggest room but it's not tiny. It's about 4.5 x 5 meters and he can easily fly laps and I know there's no plants, chemicals, unsafe human food items etc. stored in here.

I supervise him if he goes into other rooms on his adventures but I have a lot of things out I don't want him getting near and mirrors in my bedroom I don't want him flying into (my windows have slat style blinds preventing him from hitting the glass and obscuring the view of outside).

Both the office and my bedroom suffer badly in terms of ventilation and heat retention so keeping doors open as summer approaches is ideal. I'm thinking of getting something like this doorway mosquito net to help me control when he can or can't leave the office, and which rooms he can enter when he's out of office.

Here's the one I'm considering: AUGO Magnetic Fly Screen Door - Self Sealing, Heavy Duty, Hands Free Mesh Net Partition Keeps Bugs Out - Pet and Kid Friendly - Patent Pending Keep Open Feature - 97 x 210cm https://amzn.eu/d/25G0GrP

I owned a similar one in the past and being grey not white they are pretty easy to see! So he shouldn't not notice it.

Due to the holes being teeny tiny enough to prevent mosquitos I don't see this being unsafe in terms of getting his head or body caught, and I will keep an eye out for rips and am handy with a needle to darn if needed!

Just wondering if I'm missing anything like maybe his toes could get caught?

----
P.S. Pippi came and sat on my phone to help write this post!
See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
The product you are considering should work well for your needs.
Nose Cheek Head Lip Smile

I use a tension rod and a tight weave curtain to block the doorway to by budgies’ room and that works well for me.

The mesh you are considering will provide better ventilation than most curtain!!
See less See more
  • Love
I believe those magnetic door screens generally are pretty taught once there placed over the doorway. The screen itself probably won't cause any more issues than the fabric you'd have in curtains and on furniture etc. The only danger that comes to mind this early in the morning are 1) If the screen isn't tight enough he could getted wrapped up and tangled in it; 2) is there a way you could cover the magnets so they can't be nibbled on? I think I remember the magnet part being within a fabric casing, but I'd still be concerned about the transfer of toxins from the magnet to the cloth. I'm not sure if magnets might through off their navigation? (I just did a Google search on magnet, and it does say there have been birds that were disoriented by them.) I'm not sure on this though, but just throwing it out there. Do you have any other pets in the house? I do know that a dog or cat could get past that. Thank you for your careful consideration about the possible dangers this might pose 😊!
See less See more
I believe those magnetic door screens generally are pretty taught once there placed over the doorway. The screen itself probably won't cause any more issues than the fabric you'd have in curtains and on furniture etc. The only danger that comes to mind this early in the morning are 1) If the screen isn't tight enough he could getted wrapped up and tangled in it; 2) is there a way you could cover the magnets so they can't be nibbled on? I think I remember the magnet part being within a fabric casing, but I'd still be concerned about the transfer of toxins from the magnet to the cloth. I'm not sure if magnets might through off their navigation? (I just did a Google search on magnet, and it does say there have been birds that were disoriented by them.) I'm not sure on this though, but just throwing it out there. Do you have any other pets in the house? I do know that a dog or cat could get past that. Thank you for your careful consideration about the possible dangers this might pose 😊!
I have no other pets! Because yes anything else could easily enter.

Hopefully the magnets won't disoriente him but if they are I'll look at cutting it out, rehemming and reinforcing it and replacing it with either velcro or plastic poppers. But I'll see if it's necessary because that maybe could make the mesh unravel if I do it badly?

I'll see about attaching it via a tension rod like FaeryBee did with curtains maybe as that will keep it attached a bit more taut than my hazardly spaced magnets (plus from previous experience the stick on wall magnets they come with are super strong so do it wrong and you can't correct it without taking a lot of paint with it)

The product you are considering should work well for your needs.
View attachment 267371

I use a tension rod and a tight weave curtain to block the doorway to by budgies’ room and that works well for me.

The mesh you are considering will provide better ventilation than most curtain!!
Fab thank you!

The ones I purchased before were attached as a whole piece at the top (as in the split between the two halves of curtain only ran say 90% of the length, and 10% wasn't split) so I think I'll try and make something to attach to a tension rod because that's a much better idea than my previously poor attempts to get them up without having gaps where it pulls away from the wall :D
See less See more
EDIT: Ohh.. you are writing about doorways inside the house, not doorways to outside, in which case my original response probably doesn't apply.

I dunno.. those magnetic screen doors seem pretty weak, even with tension rods in place and might need a lot of work to really tighten them down. I have a retractable kind that rolls up on the side. This has worked well until a few weeks ago when I accidentally bumped it (not very hard mind you) and the screen came loose at the top. They are not fullproof :(

If you are going the route of having open doors, you might want to consider setting up a double-entry system to reduce the chance of your little one slipping out and give you the convenience of in/out easily and safely - can be designed with some lightweight wood or plastic, and taken down when you have guests or it's cold and won't keep the thing opened. I'll be building and installing a couple, as soon as I have some time.

Grille Wood Beige Line Mesh
See less See more
If you are handy and want to go to the trouble and expense you could remove the existing door if there is one, and install a wooden screen door something like this Screen Tight 36 in. x 80 in. Ponderosa Wood Unfinished Reversible Hinged Screen Door WPON36 - The Home Depot I did this many years ago for a cat issue, at the time I did not have birds.
If you are handy and want to go to the trouble and expense you could remove the existing door if there is one, and install a wooden screen door something like this Screen Tight 36 in. x 80 in. Ponderosa Wood Unfinished Reversible Hinged Screen Door WPON36 - The Home Depot I did this many years ago for a cat issue, at the time I did not have birds.
Thanks! I can't view the site it says access denied, I'm a bit of a mix with DIY. I managed to plaster my fireplace acceptably smooth but hanging a door takes a skill I lack...getting things straight and even. I can't even adjust my wardrobe hinges without making it worse.

My dad is okay though so if the net screen cover doesn't work out I will look to see if I can find a screen door.

It will be going on an internal door so will need to find one my doorframe can take the weight of, they're not really a thing in the UK though but it does sound like the optimal solution if I can source one!
EDIT: Ohh.. you are writing about doorways inside the house, not doorways to outside, in which case my original response probably doesn't apply.

I dunno.. those magnetic screen doors seem pretty weak, even with tension rods in place and might need a lot of work to really tighten them down. I have a retractable kind that rolls up on the side. This has worked well until a few weeks ago when I accidentally bumped it (not very hard mind you) and the screen came loose at the top. They are not fullproof :(

If you are going the route of having open doors, you might want to consider setting up a double-entry system to reduce the chance of your little one slipping out and give you the convenience of in/out easily and safely - can be designed with some lightweight wood or plastic, and taken down when you have guests or it's cold and won't keep the thing opened. I'll be building and installing a couple, as soon as I have some time.

View attachment 267400
Thanks for the reply! Yes it's for an internal door to control room access while allowing decent ventilation in the summer. It's already hitting 26 Celsius in his room and it's only May 😓 I'm struggling more than he is right now but it'll get worse for him eventually.

I'll bear in mind your advise though because I'm clumsy. I'll ask my Dad for his advise and assistant on maybe nailing in the top of it, and I'll get some magnetic tape to keep the entire length of the 2 sides stuck on :)

In the back of my head I knew I'd kept that doorway mosquito net- found it today!

Having lost all the magnetics to attach it to the doorway I've just nailed it in, it was a bit too wide and covering the light switch so it's folded hence the parting being off centre and then I had to hem it (it was even up until the magnetics that hold the 2 halves together lol I probably should've folded from the middle out but I don't think Pippi is judging me too much)

I also picked up some discounted click together laminate planks whilst getting nails because I apparently only had a hammer and no nails until today. Seed clean up will hopefully be easier now most of it isn't in the carpet!
See less See more
Thanks! I can't view the site it says access denied, I'm a bit of a mix with DIY. I managed to plaster my fireplace acceptably smooth but hanging a door takes a skill I lack...getting things straight and even. I can't even adjust my wardrobe hinges without making it worse.

My dad is okay though so if the net screen cover doesn't work out I will look to see if I can find a screen door.

It will be going on an internal door so will need to find one my doorframe can take the weight of, they're not really a thing in the UK though but it does sound like the optimal solution if I can source one!
I agree about the actual screen door being the best option. If the screen is made of metal make sure it's stainless steel. However, the nylon screening material is easier to replace due to its pliability. I'd definitely keep an eye on it though. It's soft and easy to replace, but it's also easier for little beaks to chew. I've noticed there are some objects in my room that LoVey makes a B line to and others she seems to have no interest in at all... that is until she becomes interested lol.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts