Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been putting amphotericin b in my budgie's water, instructions call for 1ml per 1 litre, so I use 0.1ml for their 100ml bowl. I'm on day 8 of the 20 day treatment, my budgie is still quite poorly.

For people who have dealt with AGY in the past, when did you start noticing an improvement with the amphotericin b treatment? If this doesn't get her better, there's nothing else I can do and she'll just waste away, which I really don't want to happen. If there were reputable vets here, I'd consider euthanasia to save her from that, but there aren't.

Her poops are still bulky, and when I check the paper sheets in the morning, her droppings leave dark stains around the urine, though this is slightly improving and I'm noticing less dark stains around her poops.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
I have only used a compounded Ampho B product that is administered directly into the mouth and is not made to be put in the water. The problem with any med administered in the water cup is that you do not know how much the bird is actually getting or how long before the medication in the water begins to degrade. Can you contact the vet that you had been corresponding with and ask if you can administer some of the prepared solution directly into the mouth and what the correct amount would be?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That vet has sort of ghosted me, and when they do reply, it's very low effort and makes me feel like they want me to buzz off. I spoke to the manufacturer who shipped it to me, they said it's preferable to put it in their feed, but water is fine as well and doesn't degrade for 24 hours, it just requires me to mix it a few times a day to prevent it settling at the bottom.

When you were administering the medicine by hand, how many days until you started to notice a difference? What kind of poop did your budgie with AGY have? Wasabi seems slightly better, but every morning she's still waking up with bulky poop stuck to her feathers. But thankfully, there's not as much dark staining on the paper when she goes to the bathroom. She's playing with toys more than she used to, but still isn't out of the woods.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
I have had 3 birds over the last 9 years that have been treated for AGY, they have all responded to treatment within about a week but all cases took slightly different courses. The first bird, Lenny, that had it was only 6 mos old when it appeared, I had gotten him from a breeder and it could have been passed from his mother or father to him, he was treated and recovered and died a few months later, upon necropsy it showed that he died from a heart issue. At the start of the AGY infection he had seed in his droppings. The second bird was Bebe, he also initially had seed in the droppings, in Bebe bacterial infections kept recurring, he would be treated and be ok for a few months and then become symptomatic again, this is the bird in which the AGY never showed in the dozens of tests he had but upon necropsy it was verified. The third case is my current bird Vinnie, his droppings have not looked too abnormal, no seed in them, sometimes a bit loose but not to the point of sticking to him. He was acting almost normal within a week of starting the Ampho B, at the 2 week point he was rechecked and no AGY was seen, but he still had another 2 weeks of Ampho B to go, which brings us to today. He was looking very bad Tuesday and vomiting, I took him to the vet and they did a fecal and a crop swab and no AGY but he now has a bad bacterial infection and is being treated for that now. It remains to be seen if once the bacterial infection is under control the AGY flares up again.
Is Wasabi still taking the Metronidazole, it is possible that there is also a bacterial infection going on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That post was so extremely helpful, thank you Cody. The vet clinic in Germany recommended I give her a medical powder mix they sell that contains Metronidazole, among other antibiotics / antiprotozoals. She was on that for five days and it seemed to help, as her diarrhea went away. After the five days, she's only on amphotericin b, which she'll be on until the 30th August (treatment started 10th of August). I imagine the doses she's getting are smaller due to the nature of it being administered through her water, but she drinks a lot. I think she'll recover eventually, it may just take longer than standard treatment since the doses are lower? I'd rather stick to the water treatment, since I hate putting her through the stress of being grabbed.

She's also moulting rather roughly so I can't tell how much of her sleepiness is due to illness vs typical moult sleepiness.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fact she's playing with toys more and playing with me gives me hope, seeing as a few weeks ago all she did was sleep. She's still so frail though. I think that may just be the lost weight. I'm hoping once she's healthy again and actually gets all the energy from her food, she'll gain it back and be strong like Chick. Chick has just finished energetically flying around the room and jumping from my shoulder to different other perches, and still has fuel in the tank for round 2. I can't wait for the day Wasabi is able to do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.