Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As some of you may know Mr Rudy is a little character, although he has had a reoccurring problems with mega bacteria/AGY/macrorhabdus. Thankfully he seems to be over it now, however the following is our experience.

We had him on funglin for 30 days in the water; ratio was 40ml bottled water with half tablet crushed then mixed in. After this we started a sodium benzoate mix; ratio is 300ml bottled water with 3/4 teaspoon mixed in. He is currently still on sodium benzoate for another 20 or so days with a total of 30 days. All mixes changed in the morning and before his bedtime. Throughout the funglin he was given only a seed mix with a side of vitamins; this sustained him.

We found with the funglin that fresh vegetables would make him dry heave and or vomit so we cut out vegetables for the whole month; which to his dismay actually helped his recovery. We did however have to semi force him to drink the water mixture because he would actively seek fresh water from anywhere in the house to avoid drinking his medicine. Hmm silly little birdie.. We got through it though.

Once he was done with his funglin we actively started on the sodium benzoate mixture; we knew that it could be done all together but we wanted to take it easy on him a little. The experience on sodium benzoate has been a little up and down; simply because he is having trouble going to the toilet. When he does try to go to the toilet its either just gas or a very abnormally large stool to which leads to him kicking at his vent. Dark green in colour with a very slimy sheen to it.

Today we started him back on fresh vegetables; mint, parsley, cabbage and rocket. Was not a fan of the rocket.. So far he has been able to go to the toilet but he struggles a little if its a large stool however the vegetables have helped the process of being able to go easier. We also took away the vitamins in a process of elimination as to why his stool is so tough and difficult to get out.. Progress update on that once the treatment is over.

Rudy is an active shower taker; literally will wonder into the shower while its occupied and have his way with the water. This has helped with the vent kicking as it's given him relief but once the treatment is over we will not know.

I'll update his progress after his treatment is over. 馃槒馃悿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi All,

As some of you may know Mr Rudy is a little character, although he has had a reoccurring problems with mega bacteria/AGY/macrorhabdus. Thankfully he seems to be over it now, however the following is our experience.

We had him on funglin for 30 days in the water; ratio was 40ml bottled water with half tablet crushed then mixed in. After this we started a sodium benzoate mix; ratio is 300ml bottled water with 3/4 teaspoon mixed in. He is currently still on sodium benzoate for another 20 or so days with a total of 30 days. All mixes changed in the morning and before his bedtime. Throughout the funglin he was given only a seed mix with a side of vitamins; this sustained him.

We found with the funglin that fresh vegetables would make him dry heave and or vomit so we cut out vegetables for the whole month; which to his dismay actually helped his recovery. We did however have to semi force him to drink the water mixture because he would actively seek fresh water from anywhere in the house to avoid drinking his medicine. Hmm silly little birdie.. We got through it though.

Once he was done with his funglin we actively started on the sodium benzoate mixture; we knew that it could be done all together but we wanted to take it easy on him a little. The experience on sodium benzoate has been a little up and down; simply because he is having trouble going to the toilet. When he does try to go to the toilet its either just gas or a very abnormally large stool to which leads to him kicking at his vent. Dark green in colour with a very slimy sheen to it.

Today we started him back on fresh vegetables; mint, parsley, cabbage and rocket. Was not a fan of the rocket.. So far he has been able to go to the toilet but he struggles a little if its a large stool however the vegetables have helped the process of being able to go easier. We also took away the vitamins in a process of elimination as to why his stool is so tough and difficult to get out.. Progress update on that once the treatment is over.

Rudy is an active shower taker; literally will wonder into the shower while its occupied and have his way with the water. This has helped with the vent kicking as it's given him relief but once the treatment is over we will not know.

I'll update his progress after his treatment is over. 馃槒馃悿
UPDATE

Treatment with AGY and Sodium Benzoate has gone from ok to miserable.. Rudy flat out refuses to drink anything that isn鈥檛 bottled cooled water..

He was obsessed with the ACV mix and Sodium Benzoate mix for a good week and a half but now for the whole month we鈥檝e had to trick him into drinking it; which is very stressful on all parties involved..

We鈥檝e now stopped all this treatment and encourage him to drink his bottled water and some electrolytes because he has days where he can鈥檛 keep food down.. When he does feel horrible on those days he some what dry heaves.. This dry heave is followed by a vomit/sour smell to which then makes him extremely down..

Our Avian vet has gone through so so many treatments and nothing has lasted for more then a week which is discouraging.

If there are anyone who has experienced this, your input is much appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had a couple of birds with AGY and Amphotericin B was used to treat them given directly into the mouth.
The avian vet had done a few via mouth and handed the reigns over to me.. Hubby was to heart broken to even think about administering the medication via mouth so I had to be the bad guy :cry:

This experience was just to stressful for Mr Rudy and myself; and of course financially. Although finance should not be an excuse because we made a lifelong decision to bring Mr Rudy into our home; my husband and I run a small business and to have him see our vet twice a day is not sustainable. Thus we鈥檝e opted for the water based at home treatment.

We honestly didn鈥檛 think we鈥檇 love such a little creature with so much heart but he has surely captured us with all his might! :love:

We are just at our wits end because he refuses so much things we鈥檝e tried and medically recommended, this forum is literally our saviour! PRAISE BE! Thank you all!

I promise my rant is almost over.. We just want our little man to be a very happy, spoilt and content birdie.. Gosh I am talking like we鈥檝e birthed our Rudy.

Anyone have the following past experiences?

Dark green stool w/bubbles
Dark green stool that sticks to bottom (fresh squeezed orange juice offered helps this subside, pulp is the trick we鈥檝e found - stool returns to normal khaki green)
Sensitive to seed/food smell; dry heaves (food is changed three to four times a day to avoid this)
Acts as though about to vomit then just jerks neck when face down in food (food is held up right to avoid him having to feel as though he will vomit)
Regurgitates seed that smells like garbage.. Literally.. (Vet has done crop washes before, disappears for a couple days and returns with same smell)
Very dumpy looking one minute then zooms like he鈥檚 had a bunch of sugar!
Very puffed out after these zoomies; lasts a few seconds
He鈥檚 been treated for AGY and Thyroid.

If you鈥檝e had these experiences, suggestions or you just wanna grumble and vent.. We are here 馃惀

Super Moderator
These sweet birds really do find a place in your heart that is reserved specially for them. Sometimes it is necessary to administer meds in a way that is not comfortable but is the only effective way to resolve the issue. I have had to medicate birds that are not tame and difficult to handle but after several times it gets easier. I have one that has arthritis and gets meds twice a day, she used to bite really hard and squirm terribly but now I can pick her up with no biting or squirming. The fact that he is vomiting seed that has a bad smell to it indicates that there is some type of infection that is not clearing up be it bacterial or fungal. There can be a yeast infection that is not AGY take a look at this article Candida Infections in Birds

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These sweet birds really do find a place in your heart that is reserved specially for them. Sometimes it is necessary to administer meds in a way that is not comfortable but is the only effective way to resolve the issue. I have had to medicate birds that are not tame and difficult to handle but after several times it gets easier. I have one that has arthritis and gets meds twice a day, she used to bite really hard and squirm terribly but now I can pick her up with no biting or squirming. The fact that he is vomiting seed that has a bad smell to it indicates that there is some type of infection that is not clearing up be it bacterial or fungal. There can be a yeast infection that is not AGY take a look at this article Candida Infections in Birds
Very interesting reading. I鈥檒l book him in to see the vet but given the holidays at present it will be tough. Is there something I can offer him to eat that won鈥檛 make him want to dry heave? We鈥檝e noticed that he has a few bites of his veggies, seed and vitamin mix and it鈥檚 as though he can鈥檛 stomach the taste or smell..

Thank you so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.