Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've recently come to find out that my bird has AGY. A few weeks ago, I posted thinking that Filmore was dying due to a "miserable molt". Seems that his molting instigates AGY since it is a stressful period. Anyway he has the going light chronic form.

After research I realized this sickness is difficult to treat, as the only treatment is Megabac-S which is insanely expensive. I've also heard that treatment for AGY is indefinite and will never be eradicated. At the same time I've heard that it can be eliminated with proper treatment.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with successfully curing the disease with Megabac-S after discontinuing it. Or maybe their is home treatments to ease their suffering.

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Reactions: chirper and Jo Ann

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,418 Posts
Agy

I have not seen it in grocery store, but is very easy to purchase from the net and many vets also have it. We purchased a bag that will last a life time.
It is a preservative used in sodas to inhibit the growth of fungus. I recently saw it in the ingredients of bird treats as well. It is very inexpensive. We have our flock on a preventative 1 month cycle Of Sodium Benzoate in low dose in drinking water, whenever we get weather That favors MegaBac. If one of our birds come down with AGY we use the Megabac S and put the rest of the flock on SB. This program works very well for us. It was developed with our vets guidance and we get a discount because we have a flock. Several others, Here on TB use SB very successfully. It takes love, patience and persistence, but it can be mastered. Blessings, Jo Ann:budge:

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Having Mega bac is not a death sentence for a budgie. Please remember it is us that bring these sweet little birds into our lives and it is our duty to do the best we possibly can to ensure they stay healthy and free from pain.
Some budgies do not have a good start to life, some are bred in the best possible circumstances. However either will and do suffer from this condition. It is a worry but you can do a lot to help, I have a mega bac carrier budgie so I do know what it is like.
An exceptionally clean environment, cage perches, feed dishes all must be kept free from droppings and old food. Change water frequently especially in the weather conditions that bring this on.
Feeding your budgie the best quality greens, seed and pellets. Probiotics are a must, Apple Cider vinegar with Mother in it is a natural one add a couple of drops to drinking water every few days. I use Vetafarm products.
Become alert to the symptoms the very first sign ACT.
You have been given great advice regarding the Sodium Benzoate, this is a great preventive , if your bird has megabac a course of medication is needed then follow up with the Sodium. Preventive medicine is far better if possible. Also keep your bird a little over weight, this helps them have a head start so to speak. Feed egg and biscuit mix, millet, these will add weight. Good luck please don't give up the fight.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.