Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Albino (Snowy) that was sold to me as a breeding pair, and has a partner in the cage Bluey. Question is about whether she is a he or not. Been reading that it is hard to tell with Albino's. Both Snowy and Bluey have been making out, but no eggs, so I took the breeding box out and I thought that they no longer were making out ... Problem is I have seen them both ways. Mainly with Bluey (definately male) on top, but have seen the other way but not as often. If there is 2 males in the cage, would they also make out. Here is a photo of them. Bluey, Snowy and Charlie. Charlie is partnered with a Lutino and is currently awaiting his first clutch and Charlie and Lemon have been separated until their clutch hatches, but the 4 birds used to be in the same cage. Thanks!

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Snowy looks to be a male from the picture posted. Please post an additional picture taken in natural light - no flash and no direct sunlight for a definitive answer.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

The bottom of the cage or whatever that wooden thing is beneath the perch needs to be removed and cleaned.
Hygiene is extremely important in the care of budgies.

What is with all the seed behind the bars of the cage? Is that how the birds are fed?

Budgies need a varied and healthy diet and that seed looks to be primarily white millet.
An all seed diet can lead to obesity and fatty liver disease.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. I used a photo that the previous owner had taken. It is very hard to get a photo of them in natural light because they are located in my house. Yes I agree about the dirty wood. That was the breeding box they had in the cage and was filthy. I am so glad to have them, because now they are fed better and their cage is kept cleaner. They were also supposed to be hand tammed but the way she caught them when we arrived was not the right way of doing it and therefore has been taking time to gain their trust. We have had them over 6 weeks now and they are still very skittish.

I used to own a single Budgie many ... many years ago when I was a teenager, but have never bred them.

My birds get plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and my breeding pair is getting regular egg and biscuit. I am not sure what is in the picture behind the birds, as I said is not my photo, but when you enlarge it looks like carpet of some sort.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
I agree with Cody -- the three budgies are precious!

Make sure you do not feed too much egg. Once a week is sufficient unless your budgies are molting.

Budgies need adequate protein or feather, bone, hormone, muscle, and enzyme production as well as energy.

Providing your budgie with a well-balanced diet of a good seed mix along with pellets and a variety of vegetables is best.

If a budgie's diet is too high in proteins, it can cause
increased sex drive, kidney and liver problems, dehydration and has been linked to some cancers.

High protein foods include:
Egg
mung beans
legumes
peas
corn
spinach
broccoli
kale
millet
quinoa
oat groats
flax seed
chia seed
hemp seed

Low protein vegetable and fruit choices include:
carrots (and carrot tops)
chilis
sweet peppers
celery
parsley
basil
thyme
rosemary
cilantro
chickweed
apples
grapes
oranges

Again, providing a variety of good foods for your budgie is most important.
All the vegetables listed as "high protein" vegetables are just fine in moderation

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!!

You’ve come to the best possible place to learn even more about the best budgie care practices!

FaeryBee has given you great advice and resources and I agree with her completely. Please be sure to read through the links provided above to ensure you’re up to date on everything!

Your birds are adorable :)
Best wishes 👋

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.