Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Olivia & i have been breeding for 6 years but rarely post, in our first year we bought 6 birds from different farms etc, one of those birds was Dazzle a beautiful blue male with blue spider wings & no black on wing tips, he pared with a yellow and green in Colony breeding for a couple of seasons in the 2nd year 2 of the babies were latinos we sold one and kept one for breeding (Ginger) she produced many nice babies over 3 seasons to which we now have great great grandchildren using a couple of separate breeding boxes along with the avery to avoid inbreeding, Dazzle went on to a blue female for 2011 & 2012 and it was then we discovered he had the albino gene as we got 2 albinos, last year we had such a good year we realised we had way too many birds, i sold and gave away all but 18. This spring we are just breeding in the 2 separate boxes, i will try to post pics from my ipad, in one box Frosty an albino (Dazzles daughter) is pared with a blue male with a yellow head (Stackhat) to my surprise when Olivia and i cleaned the cage today we put the 5 babies in a shoe box, they just have feathers showing, 2 have the red eyes,1 albino but the other must have picked up the yellow gene from Stackhat and is Latino, i would find it interesting to know what % of the gene is in each bird as in six years we have bred 3 Latinos & 3 Albinos, 2 of each through Dazzle and now one of each in the same nest through Dazzles Daughter Frosty.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The yellow red-eyed baby is not a Lutino, it'll be a Yellowface Albino (sometimes called Creamino).

There's no percentages of genes, but since Albino is a sex-linked gene Dazzle is split for it, which means he has one gene. Only males can be split for (carry but not show) sex-linked genes, and depending on his partner he could give you either Albino or Lutino chicks. Females can only carry one copy of this gene, and they can't give it to their daughters. Both the INO chicks will be girls.

The yellow chick is not a Lutino because both parents are blue, and Lutinos are green Albinos. Green is dominant to blue, so neither of the parents could have been hiding it.

I hope this makes sense, the chicks are adorable. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.