Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Bubble gum for a while now, I always just thought he was a Grey wing Well technically yellow face 2 Sky blue Grey wing Split to recessive pied - He may be a Golden face and not a type 2 yellow face - haven't figured that out yet either.

But his body color is NOT diluted what so ever like in a Normal Grey wing

I have bred him once so far( well he just had 4 babies hatch but they've just been born lol) to a Dominant Recessive pied Sky blue split Greywing hen, the 1 baby from them I kept is also NOT diluted either.

so his daughter is what actually made me start thinking maybe he's not a Grey wing after all, maybe he's a full body Grey wing since his body nor hers is diluted

but here's Bubblegum

and his Daughter Jasmine
I don't have any front shots of her - she always give me her back lol

Jasmine (best frontal shot I have) her mom is behind her to the Left - Topaz Dominant Recessive pied Sky blue Split Grey wing (almost pure white bird)

and amazingly enough Jasmine as a Baby

she's in the center

with her back to the camera (imagine that lol)

the other pied's running around in there were her siblings

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thought so but wanted to make sure

Does that make Jasmine a Full Body Grey wing too??

I can't find if Full Body Grey wing is Recessive or Dominant so not sure how it works.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your bird is a Clearwing belive it or not. To get a Full Body Coloured Greywing you need bothe Clearwing and Greywing.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your bird is a Clearwing belive it or not. To get a Full Body Coloured Greywing you need bothe Clearwing and Greywing.
Seriously?? :D
Me and a friend of mine have been needing clearwings Forever and just figured we'd never get them in our area Then she had a Mystery bird she thought she knew it's mutation and people are telling her some of his babies are looking like they're clear wings so we started thinking well maybe they are in our area after all and we just didn't know it because they don't match the descriptions what so ever

If he's a clearwing - is his daughter one to? the mom was split to Grey wing and his daughter has Grey wings but her body color is NOT diluted (like her dads is not)they're both very bright to be grey wings it just never dawned on me Too many mutations in my head i forget some important info at times lol

and if he is a clearwing then I can work on a true Rainbow line after all :D I was giving up since I never thought I'd find a true clearwing in my area :D :D :D

I have everything needed but the clearwing but if he's clear wing now i have every thing I need to get working on True Rainbows :)

oh and while I'm at it instead of making a new post on it - is he a yellow face type 2 or a golden face(same question goes for his daughter) his face is not lemon color(these pictures do him no justice :( ) both of them have very deep dark yellow faces and of course it does bleed into the body but I read Golden face also bleeds into the body turning Sky blue sea green just like a Yf 2 does only golden face is darker But i keep getting different answers on which one he is

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Can't see all the pictures (they aren't loading for me) but I do see Bubblegum and he looks exactly like one of my budgies. I have always been told my greywings aren't full bodied since it's a bit difficult to get them but they look like full bodied greywings to me! Their color isn't diluted at all.

To get a greywing you need a greywing gene from each parent and to get a full bodied greywing you need a greywing gene from one parent and a clearwing gene from the other.

Here he is the one in the middle :)

He is a goldenface cobalt greywing but see how bright his color is, the one next to him is also a greywing but opaline and double factor goldenface. Both have the same mom.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't see all the pictures (they aren't loading for me) but I do see Bubblegum and he looks exactly like one of my budgies. I have always been told my greywings aren't full bodied since it's a bit difficult to get them but they look like full bodied greywings to me! Their color isn't diluted at all.

To get a greywing you need a greywing gene from each parent and to get a full bodied greywing you need a greywing gene from one parent and a clearwing gene from the other.

Here he is the one in the middle :)

He is a goldenface cobalt greywing but see how bright his color is, the one next to him is also a greywing but opaline and double factor goldenface. Both have the same mom.

ya I know how the grey wing gene works :) I have loads of Grey wings Didn't want as many as I have but ended up most of my original flock was split to it :rolleyes:

Bubblegum and Kirara's yellow is even deeper yellow than your guy in the middle(at least in person they are for some reason all the pics show them lighter than they are even w/out flash) so I'm leaning towards golden face for at least Bubblegum I bought him as an Adult so I don't know know everything he carries - but I am working on finding out LOL so far I've found he's split to Recessive pied :p

I call him my rainbow budgie even though he's not a true rainbow but he's extremely brightly colored and has several colors in him - he's got the sea green from the yellow bleeding in then the blue for being blue based and then the violet all over his body because he has a violet factor , then they yellow - he may not be a true rainbow but he's my lil' rainbow buddy :giggle:

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
The clearwing gene works the same as the greywing gene does :)

When a budgie has on of each though they look grewing from the one gene, but get the bright body color from the clearwing gene instead of being diluted, thus the "full body color" ;)

If you breed him to another fullbody greywing you will get full body greywings, greywings, and cleawings.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clearwing gene works the same as the greywing gene does :)

When a budgie has on of each though they look grewing from the one gene, but get the bright body color from the clearwing gene instead of being diluted, thus the "full body color" ;)

If you breed him to another fullbody greywing you will get full body greywings, greywings, and cleawings.

Just my luck he's the only one I have :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have only got time to post a couple of pics. Not sure of your pic size so if they are to big just let me know.

This is a Greywing Sky. Note the 50% body colour and reduced colour of cheek patch.

This is a Full Body Coloured Greywing Cobalt. Note the full intensity body colour and regular cheek patch.

The other main difference is the markings themselves. In Greywings they should be sharp and distinct but in Clearwings they will be fuzzy, like an out of focus photo. Clearwings can also be extremely dirty to the point that even I sometimes give a bird the benefit of the doubt.

Another thing to note is when photograhping blue birds it is extremely difficult to get it just right due to how colour is produced in the feathers.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
ya I know how the grey wing gene works :) I have loads of Grey wings Didn't want as many as I have but ended up most of my original flock was split to it :rolleyes:

Bubblegum and Kirara's yellow is even deeper yellow than your guy in the middle(at least in person they are for some reason all the pics show them lighter than they are even w/out flash) so I'm leaning towards golden face for at least Bubblegum I bought him as an Adult so I don't know know everything he carries - but I am working on finding out LOL so far I've found he's split to Recessive pied :p

I call him my rainbow budgie even though he's not a true rainbow but he's extremely brightly colored and has several colors in him - he's got the sea green from the yellow bleeding in then the blue for being blue based and then the violet all over his body because he has a violet factor , then they yellow - he may not be a true rainbow but he's my lil' rainbow buddy :giggle:
They could be goldenfaces then ;)

The flash did wash out some of their color in that photo, I have several goldenfaces, some single factors some double factors as well as some YF1's and when compared to each other you can clearly see the difference in the shade and brightness of it. Also the goldenfaces are more patchy looking.

RIPBudgies thank you for those photos! that clears my doubts about some of my greywings, see I have some with the lighter wing markings and some that have the darker grey markings with the regular cheek patches like on the second photo, I always thought it was just a variation of the greywing gene. That means I have in fact several full bodied greywings :D

Too bad they are all related.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've had Bubble gum for a while now, I always just thought he was a Grey wing Well technically yellow face 2 Sky blue Grey wing Split to recessive pied -......................

But his body color is NOT diluted what so ever like in a Normal Grey wing
...... what actually made me start thinking maybe he's not a Grey wing after all, maybe he's a full body Grey wing since his body nor hers is diluted

but here's Bubblegum

Hi Atv,

Very glad with U if your bird is actually carrying the clearwing gene thru the FBC greywing gene....

...just a thought though...on your comment on the "body colour not being diluted (as for normal greywings)"......

...wouldn't the YF gene (it being a "yellow-reducing gene") have an opposite (opposing) impact on the body colour dilution as in the greywing?...

....this being the reason for "brighter body colour"...or would such "bright body colour" only stem from the "clearwing gene" (forming part of the FBC greywing bird's make-up)?

What would U experts then say of "Sunshine", having similar "light grey"-wing markings with bright body colour...is she a FBC greywing as well or just "plain Clearwing"?...
Budgy0511_0080e1.jpg

Budgy0511_0061e1.jpg

Budgy0511_0048e1.jpg
...even maybe she's a "toned-down spangle" (her mother is a spangle!), but as U can see the "darkest" part of wing markings isn't to the feather edges as is the case for spangles?!

Any help will do...all this are still unclear to me...even when considering the body colour shade, to me all of the wing-markings in the FBC Greywing, Greywing and Clearwing appear too much alike / very similar!

Thx,
JacodK

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Atv,

Very glad with U if your bird is actually carrying the clearwing gene thru the FBC greywing gene....

...just a thought though...on your comment on the "body colour not being diluted (as for normal greywings)"......

...wouldn't the YF gene (it being a "yellow-reducing gene") have an opposite (opposing) impact on the body colour dilution as in the greywing?...

....this being the reason for "brighter body colour"...or would such "bright body colour" only stem from the "clearwing gene" (forming part of the FBC greywing bird's make-up)?

What would U experts then say of "Sunshine", having similar "light grey"-wing markings with bright body colour...is she a FBC greywing as well or just "plain Clearwing"?...
View attachment 22518

View attachment 22519

View attachment 22520
...even maybe she's a "toned-down spangle" (her mother is a spangle!), but as U can see the "darkest" part of wing markings isn't to the feather edges as is the case for spangles?!

Any help will do...all this are still unclear to me...even when considering the body colour shade, to me all of the wing-markings in the FBC Greywing, Greywing and Clearwing appear too much alike / very similar!

Thx,
JacodK
The Yellowface gene does not reduce depth of colour. You bird is a spangle, no doubt about it. Wether it is Clearwing (CW) or FBC Greywing (GW) you would need to breed to be sure. Because the spangle has a white tail any trace of CW or GW is not evident. Markings on Spangle can pale and sparse enough to appear as CW or GW.

·
Registered
84 Posts
how do u tell the difference between greywing and full body grey wing...i really dont understand the yellow face stuff either

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome at TB Eric!

If you do a "keyword search" (see to left of TB website)...you're sure to find many a past threads on Greywing, Full body colour (FBC) greywing and Clearwings....

...else search under the "Genetics" discussion grouping as listed towards the bottom ..when U click on the "Talk Budgies Forum" link ...the upper-most part of this thread.

...I'm not one of the genetic experts like Nev / Atv / RIP here on TB, but it's best to read their advice in their own words on this aspect!

Here is a link where Nev answered my questions on the same subject:
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=69917

Enjoy your birds!
Jacodk

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
how do u tell the difference between greywing and full body grey wing
A normal greywing has diluted body color that makes it look much more washed out than a budgie without the gene does :)

A full body color greywing on the other hand has just as bright of color as a budgie without a greywing gene, since it also has a clearwing gene wich has bright body color. Thus the name "full body color" greywing ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.