Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At petsmart today, I saw a budgie that was all white. I was just wondering what kind of mutation it might be? I don't have any pics, though I'm thinking of going back to the pet store tomorrow and buying it if it's still there. (I didn't bring enough money with me today). All I can say is it was completely, 100% white with a pink cere. Anyone want to take a guess? :D

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
I would say it could be an albino, dark eyed clear, or double factor spangle. What color was it's eyes? :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It is probably either a dark eyed clear or a double factor spangle then. :)
Cool! thanks :) Whats a double factor spangle?

don't you just love the white ones that is why i got flower :loveeyes:
I do! I wanted it so bad, but after I bought everything I went there to buy, I didn't have 20 dollars left to buy it :( I'm sooooo hoping it's still there tomorrow!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
that is what happen to me out of all the budgies in the petstore flower was the only white one i wanted him so bad but couldn't get him after a few weeks he was still there so i got him:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You're welcome. :) A double factor spangle is the result of breeding two spangles together. It results in an all white or all yellow bird depending on if the parents are blue or green series. :)
Thanks! Again! lol can you tell I'm super new to this whole thing? :XD: So how can you tell if a parent is a spangle? Sorry I'm just curious about this now, as I'm hoping to breed one day.

that is what happen to me out of all the budgies in the petstore flower was the only white one i wanted him so bad but couldn't get him after a few weeks he was still there so i got him:)
That's encouraging lol. Maybe it'll still be there when I go back. (I say it, thought I'm pretty sure it was a boy. It had a pink cere, but from what I could see, there was no white around the nostrils-but like I said, it didn't look at me a lot)

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Thanks! Again! lol can you tell I'm super new to this whole thing? :XD: So how can you tell if a parent is a spangle? Sorry I'm just curious about this now, as I'm hoping to breed one day.
I'm glad to help! :) I think the budgie you saw in the pet store was a double factor spangle because dark eyed clears normally have plum colored eyes now that I think about it. Spangles are actually one of my favorite budgie mutations. Most of my hens are spangles. :) You can tell a budgie is a spangle because the markings on the tail and wings are 'reversed'. This results in all white or yellow (again depending on if it is blue or green series) feathers with a thin black stripe at the edge. Here some of my budgies as examples. :)

This is Lillie, who is a Violet Grey Spangle:

Now compare that to Tyson, who is not a spangle (he's a Normal Grey Green):

Does that make sense? :) Please let me know if you need anymore help. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm glad to help! :) I think the budgie you saw in the pet store was a double factor spangle because dark eyed clears normally have plum colored eyes now that I think about it. Spangles are actually one of my favorite budgie mutations. Most of my hens are spangles. :) You can tell a budgie is a spangle because the markings on the tail and wings are 'reversed'. This results in all white or yellow (again depending on if it is blue or green series) feathers with a thin black stripe at the edge. Here some of my budgies as examples. :)

This is Lillie, who is a Violet Grey Spangle:

Now compare that to Tyson, who is not a spangle (he's a Normal Grey Green):

Does that make sense? :) Please let me know if you need anymore help. :)
That's very helpful! :D I just have one more question. I don't know if you can answer it, but I figure it's worth a shot :p If that budgie was a double factor spangle, and I bred it with a recessive pied light green, what kinds of babies would I get? Or how could I figure that out myself??

·
Registered
694 Posts
Here's a quick example for you of breeding double factor spangles :)

Father- Type 2 Yellow Face Double Factor Spangle

Mother- Type 2 Yellow Face Cinnamon Opaline Spangle Sky Blue

Baby 1- Type 2 Yellow Face Spangle Blue

Baby 2- Double Factor Spangle

Baby 3- Type 2 Yellow Face Double Factor Spangle

I'm not sure if it helps you at all, but there you have 3 examples of the double factors, and 2 of the single factors :)

Reactions: SouthernGirl

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
That's very helpful! :D I just have one more question. I don't know if you can answer it, but I figure it's worth a shot :p If that budgie was a double factor spangle, and I bred it with a recessive pied light green, what kinds of babies would I get? Or how could I figure that out myself??
You're right, I can't answer that. :giggle: I get mixed up with pied genetics and such. You could look through this website: http://www.***************/colors.html and/or post a thread here on Talk Budgies and let the experts help you. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just have one more question. I don't know if you can answer it, but I figure it's worth a shot If that budgie was a double factor spangle, and I bred it with a recessive pied light green, what kinds of babies would I get? Or how could I figure that out myself??
I believe you would get all single factor green spangles split to recessive pied. I used this genetic calculator to work that out, but it isn't exactly easy to use. Also, you have to take into account what both the birds could be split for and unless you know that, I don't believe you can be exactly sure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a quick example for you of breeding double factor spangles :)

Father- Type 2 Yellow Face Double Factor Spangle

Mother- Type 2 Yellow Face Cinnamon Opaline Spangle Sky Blue

Baby 1- Type 2 Yellow Face Spangle Blue

Baby 2- Double Factor Spangle

Baby 3- Type 2 Yellow Face Double Factor Spangle

I'm not sure if it helps you at all, but there you have 3 examples of the double factors, and 2 of the single factors :)
Thanks! I'm slightly less confused now :XD:

You're right, I can't answer that. :giggle: I get mixed up with pied genetics and such. You could look through this website: http://www.***************/colors.html and/or post a thread here on Talk Budgies and let the experts help you. :)
Thanks :) If I do wind up getting that bird and breeding it with this other bird I have in mind (vague, I know. I haven't committed to anything yet though) then I'll start a thread :p

I believe you would get all single factor green spangles split to recessive pied. I used this genetic calculator to work that out, but it isn't exactly easy to use. Also, you have to take into account what both the birds could be split for and unless you know that, I don't believe you can be exactly sure.
I found that calculator thing and tried to use it, and it gave me a headache. Literally :eek: I had to bust out the aspirin on that one lol. So thanks very much for your help :)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Hi. Someone may have posted this already, but another way to differentiate between a DF spangle and a dark eyed clear is iris rings. A DF spangle will have them, a DEC will not. And, a DF spangle's cere will change normally whereas a DEC male's cere will be a pinkish color always (much like a recessive pied).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi. Someone may have posted this already, but another way to differentiate between a DF spangle and a dark eyed clear is iris rings. A DF spangle will have them, a DEC will not. And, a DF spangle's cere will change normally whereas a DEC male's cere will be a pinkish color always (much like a recessive pied).
Nobody had said that yet, thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.