Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my workers came up to me this morning with a baby lovebird. The little thing was in a 5 gal bucket so I got him out and held it a bit. It was shaking at first but I talked to him and cupped him in my hand and stroked the top of his wee little head and he just cuddled there in my hand.

Beak was still over 1/2 black. I debated to come home and mix formula and feed with the spoon syringe or go straight to the vet and get tested. I went and found the guy who found him and had him take me to where he found him. There were about 5 adults up in the palm tree close by so I sat the little guy in the grass and stepped back. One made a quick fly over and back to the tree. Then one made a fly to a palo verde tree next to the grass then flew back.

The little guy made his way to a little mound with a rock and a couple bushes about 5 feet away.After a couple mins he went under one of the bushes out of sight. Two adults flew back to the palo verde tree and called then the little one answered from the bush. They called about 4-5 times and the little guy answered each time. So I figured mom and dad found their lost son.

I waited a couple mins then left. I came back about 20 mins later and there was no sign on any one, adult or baby. In my heart I felt good and I know they are off together again as a happy family.

On a side note it reminded of a rescue I did once with a budgie. This guy who found the lovebird and the girls I got the budgie from both asked me when I was holding the birds.."Isnt he biting you? He just attacks me."

My answer both times was "no he's just cuddling up in my hand and Im scratching his head".

Some of us are the lucky ones :).

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
Aww, I'm glad the little one was reunited with its family! :) And it really is true, some people have a special kind of sensitivity and understanding towards animals, birds in this case and I quite agree with you, we are very lucky indeed.

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
Rick,

That is a wonderfully heartwarming story. :hug:
I'm glad you were able to reunite the baby with his parents.

I believe animals know when we love them and it gives them the courage to trust us more than they do others.
I know you have the true love of animals and the kindness and compassion that accompany it. The birds you come in contact with recognize that quality in you immediately, my friend!

·
Super Moderator
20,168 Posts
That's a wonderful story! It made me smile from end to end ;)

I'm so glad the little one was reunited with his parents, and it's obvious the animals know that you're a caretaker and a steward of the earth and all its creatures.

:hug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.