Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my first post a while back was about my new baby male budgie but now I'm not so sure of "male" or "baby" anymore. He's in the process of molting and I noticed in the last few days that the top of his cere is turning blue from the top down, and now I'm wondering if I've actually been mistaking his purple cere for brown. It might be hard to tell in photos but irl the blue is pretty noticeable and his whole cere looks lighter in general now.

I've been told he's recessive pied so I don't think his cere would be turning the darker blue that a lot of normal male budgies have. It looks a lot lighter like the female baby blue ceres. Can someone confirm if I'm wrong about his sex or not, or if this change of color is normal for male budgies during molt? Thanks!

in the photo I'm trying to get him to eat pellets with mash (which is not going well lol, he shakes his head at every bit of flavor he doesn't like and flings it onto the wall)
Bird Small animal food Beak Bird supply Pet supply

and here's a photo from a week ago when it was all one color:
Head Bird Eye Beak Parrot

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cere looks brownish to me which would indicate that the bird is a female.
It's strange because it looks more brown in photos but more purple in real life, at least imo. The females with brown ceres I've seen were pretty dark brown so I wasn't sure if it was purple or light brown. I guess in a few days if it turns fully white-blue then I'll know it's a girl 100%. I've been so confused ever since I got him... her. Thanks for the reply!

· Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
The cere can go through a few different shades as the bird is maturing. I have a female that everyone thought was a male when she was young, she had a pink cere that all assumed would turn blue, as a males cere will do in many mutations as they mature, and all of a sudden it started turning sort of a peach color and then tan, so what we thought initially was a male is actually a female, this is her as her cere was turning a peach color, it is now fully brown.

Bird Beak Feather Wing Parakeet

· Super Moderator
20,177 Posts
It's quite hard to see the color in the initial photo you posted because the cere also looks quite dry, but the shape of the cere looks very much like a female's to me. Do you have any other photos? Also, normally we do not use photos of the cere taken with flash to tell gender usually because the flash washes colors out, but in this case I'm interested in seeing the reflectivity/opacity of the cere. Could you get a photo with flash and post it here?🤓

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's quite hard to see the color in the initial photo you posted because the cere also looks quite dry, but the shape of the cere looks very much like a female's to me. Do you have any other photos? Also, normally we do not use photos of the cere taken with flash to tell gender usually because the flash washes colors out, but in this case I'm interested in seeing the reflectivity/opacity of the cere. Could you get a photo with flash and post it here?🤓
Sorry for the late response! I didn't know they had different cere shapes based on gender, are there any comparison pictures showing the differences? Also I just put him to bed so I can't take a flash photo atm but I do have some more recent photos in bright light if these help. His cere is much less dry and flaky now. I personally don't see brown or beige at all irl but I'm still super confused because of the light blue near the top. I'm also not sure if he's a baby or an adult bird either now, I have no idea how to tell and the pet store was no help.
Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Feather
Head Bird Beak Feather Wing
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Pet supply

I'll try to take a good flash photo tomorrow.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These recent pictures look like a male and his cere is looking much better, beautiful bird.
I think he's almost done molting so his cere is nice and smooth now. He is a very handsome budgie 🥰 I really do hope he is a male because when I get him a friend in a few weeks, I want to make sure they're both the same gender. Thank you for your replies!

· Super Moderator
20,177 Posts
He is beautiful!

He's definitely a boy. Judging by the mature color of the yellow on his head (baby goldenface budgies tend to have a lighter shade of yellow) he is an adult :) There is no other way to tell for male recessive pied budgies like your little one because they keep their immature cere color and lack of iris rings into adulthood!

So his full mutation is cobalt double factor goldenface recessive pied :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is beautiful!

He's definitely a boy. Judging by the mature color of the yellow on his head (baby goldenface budgies tend to have a lighter shade of yellow) he is an adult :) There is no other way to tell for male recessive pied budgies like your little one because they keep their immature cere color and lack of iris rings into adulthood!

So his full mutation is cobalt double factor goldenface recessive pied :)
I'm so happy to hear from both of you that he's a male. I figured he was an adult, I just wish I knew his exact age but I'm just gonna assume he's a year old. I unfortunately got him from petsmart but he stood out so much to me that I had to have him. He is already hand tame with me and it's only been a few weeks. He's a fantastic beautiful little bird. I can't wait to find him a friend.

Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it. Knowing his exact mutation is really cool and super helpful! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts