Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a breeder selling "Wisteria Spangles", "Aqua Pearls", and blue and violet "SPangle lacewings". This is something this person came up with for marketing right? Not actual new mutations? I emailed them, but have gotten no response. Their birds are quite beautiful, but I have never heard this terminology before.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, but you can go to the breeder directory and look them up. I believe they were the only one located in New Jersey. :) Very nice looking birds.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Plenty of marketing places actually dye the birds and call them rare to get more money. The birds will lose the dyed feather eventually, but it's a huge scam. Those mutations don't sound very real.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I recently came across a breeder selling "Wisteria Spangles", "Aqua Pearls", and blue and violet "SPangle lacewings". This is something this person came up with for marketing right? Not actual new mutations? I emailed them, but have gotten no response. Their birds are quite beautiful, but I have never heard this terminology before.
It's people who have no idea what they're doing! They don't know their behind from a hole in the ground! The "Aqua Pearls" are most likely Sky blues - not sure what the pearls would be Since they do use the term Spangle I've known people to call Spangles Pearls. not sure what Wisteria would be though . and the only thing I could think of for the lacewings would be that they have a sheen like The Albino/Lutinos get in certain lights (the blue sheen for Albino Green Sheen for Lutino) I've read that Albino and Lutinos sometimes have a violet/Grey sheen that sometimes it does Mask the violet or Grey Factor but not always.

But other than that - they're talking out their behinds and have no idea what they have.
which really ***** because it makes it harder for people who are trying to learn mutations to learn when people can't even take the time to learn the mutations they're breeding and call them by the proper names

oh and some times there is what's known as a bleed through that is often seen on Lutino, Albino , Dark Eye Clear -so it would be seen on Lacewings and creaminos as well where you can see the wing pattern or other mutations they're masking

I actually have a creamino you can see her head bars and her wing markings they're very light (she's a grey wing) but you can see them better in good light in person all the pics i took of her came out blurry they can be seen a little bit but much better in person. it's just a bleed through she's still a creamino - well technically she'd be a Creamino grey wing :giggle:

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wisteria is a violet spangle. The aqua pearl looked like a sky blue cinnamon spangle (if I remember correctly). And the lacewings did not have cinnamon markings or red eyes. They just looked like spangles to me. Idk. Seems hokey.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The wisteria is a violet spangle. The aqua pearl looked like a sky blue cinnamon spangle (if I remember correctly). And the lacewings did not have cinnamon markings or red eyes. They just looked like spangles to me. Idk. Seems hokey.
Well if they don't have red eyes they sure can't be lace wings :D

and I wouldn't doubt if they're not just adding fancy names so they can up the price I've seen it done many times

i came across an ad a few weeks ago for "Grey Pallid" Cockatiels - when I read it it didn't seem right - but i remember reading that in tiels Pallid was a term used for a different mutation but I couldn't remember what it was so i looked it up and it was a term used for Australian Platinum Which is also ONLY in Australia Not in the U.S. the ad was for Indiana or Illinois I forget now.. So I messaged and asked for a picture she sent me one and they were not Australian Platinum (they are a light silvery color) the bird she sent me was normal Grey but the cheek patches were extremely light Ended up they were just pastel faces- She was ripped off! She was told they were a mutation Charged for that mutation and that Mutation is not even available in the U.S.

Edit: just browsing their site - they're just making up names to put with these birds. and If they push out 500 birds a year that makes me think BIRD MILL

raises more than five hundred quality babies all year long
and Then this
Mature Cobalt Male
This is and excellent example of a 13 gram exhibition size bird
I would hope a Full grown budgie weighs more than 13 Grams!

I also dislike the fact they Pull at 1 week old When there is no reason to do so that early!

They call their self "experts" yet they come off with this gibberish

English Budgies unlike the American cousin does not hit sexual maturity until the male is at least fourteen months and the female is around eighteen months. While the American can hit it's stride at six months.
American budgies are NOT cousins to English Budgies they are 1 in the same!!! There are no subspecies of Budgies A BUDGIE IS A BUDGIE - these people don't know squat!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
They are just names that are made up by someone who doesn't understand mutations.

The birds shown on the site are common mutations that can be easily identified correctly. None are lacewing

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
i♥mybudgies;941227 said:
I really think it's just marketing. :p They sound fancier and are more enticing--I guess? :)
they do say they're not the cheapest! but I can't find prices any where.. which is probably a good thing I'd probably have a heart attack over their extreme high price for a "fancy" name tag since they don't know what mutations are!

and this part on their site still makes my skin crawl - I've been breeding budgies all year long for going on 5 years and I have NEVER had this many budgies come and go through my house! not even close to this amount!

raises more than five hundred quality babies all year long. We do this full time

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Now thats a professional scam :giggle:
I'm dying to know their prices but not wanting to send them an E-mail to find out - that's sort of time wasting, in my opinion

Was reading it some more they keep referring to american budgies as cousins to he English budgie :rolleyes: how can a species of bird who has no subspecies have a cousin? LOL Rather its an American Budgie or an English Budgie it's sill a BUDGIE! they're not cousins to each other they're 1 in he same! They also like to say that English budgies come in more mutation"morphs" than their "cousins" the normal "keets" (American) - which isn't true hey all come in he same mutations! just most are seen more in the English budgies.. they also said "to learn more about English budgies go to ***************" And linked it - Odd that 90% if not more of the pics on that site are American budgies :giggle:

·
MOTM December 2011
3,090 Posts
and they've been in that business for what- 40 years now?!?
Check this out
we are more than just a home hobbyist we're experts.
Yeah sure you are
At Belford Birds we offer not just hand-fed babies, but companion pets that will have the ability to speak to their human companions.
Really now? SPEAK to us? Thats a sight I'd like to see (I know budgies can mimic sounds - they can't communicate to humans like we do)

They only have one video
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrRjwanVCis"]My Budgie & Me.wmv - YouTube[/nomedia]

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
and they've been in that business for what- 40 years now?!?
Check this out

Yeah sure you are

Really now? SPEAK to us? Thats a sight I'd like to see (I know budgies can mimic sounds - they can't communicate to humans like we do)

They only have one video
My Budgie & Me.wmv - YouTube
I couldn't even watch the entire video it was driving my dog insane - but would you pay almost $7.00 for something you can just watch on you tube? LOL they have it listed for sale on their site :giggle: Plus you can barely hear the man over the chirping If your going to make a "training" video Which is what they call it - I'd think it would be better to do it with just 1 so it's not so noisy

Also he states "they're too young to step up" Uh no those birds should be stepping up Mine step up by 3 1/2 weeks old sometimes even sooner as soon as my hand enters the cage(or brooder) They step up on my fingers or the palm of my hand I don't even have to tell them to do it , it's automatic.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
:laughing: lol :laughing: Would be hilarious if he joined TB and educated us about budgies :laughing:
He was found in the Breeder Directory on here and as far as I know that's only for members - but I could be wrong.

Edit: I just went to the breeder directory and clicked on the name that submitted this breeder- It's the "owner" he submitted it in July and made one post that is locked now I don't think he's ever been back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.