Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey guys,

trying to figure out for ages now what does a american budgie X with an english budgie look like??

I've been weighing my budgies for awhile now, and while they have a good diet, lots of exercise and are all under 2-3 years of age- they all weigh more than a "american budgie" should when I look up healthy weights..

Here are their weights I took today:

Kirby (female) who is around 2 1/2 years old weighs 52 g.
Charlie (male) same age also weighs 52g

Daisy- (female) not sure of age weights 38g- but she is very hard to keep on the scale so this might not be accurate..

Ollie- (male) under a year old weighs 42 g

their diet is seed, pellets (I'm trying to convert them onto pellets) and vegetables and fruit which they love..
they get out to fly around the room nearly every day.

Let me know if you would like to see pictures! :)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
We LOVE pictures here! Please,
share photos of your flock!

An English/American cross is generally
a bit larger and heavier than a straight
American, some considerably so.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Sarah....I breed both...for most part crosses are a little bigger,say mid size.They may have regular English spots or still have the American size spots.I have one that came out the same size as American but large spots.I also have one that is just about full English size but has spots only a little larger than good American show size spots.So there is a lot of differences when crossing the two kinds.A good full size English should be seven inches long and large even spots.Half and halfs are about five and a half inches and the American about four.I dont't go buy weight because it can and will vary largely depending on the genetic make up from the parents.A full size English will vary from one to another depending on the style,or if buff,double buff etc.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I am just charging my camera and will take some pictures and add them soon :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
American X English?? Pictures

Here are the pictures of my budgies, do they look like american X english ?

I took a few pictures trying from different angles

Charlie

Ollie: (ollie is not yet a year old and having his first big molt)

Daisy charlie and Ollie

Daisy:

Kirby:

·
Registered
61 Posts
To me they look like they do have some English budgie in them, maybe 25 to 50%
They have amazing colours

·
Registered
409 Posts
They are utterly beautiful, but I agree definitely a bit of English in them!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Daisy is probably showing the most English with Charlie second followed by Kirby(but shows nice type style) then Olie with the least amount of English...my guess

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
Sarah,

I combined your two threads into one!

To me, Daisy looks as though she may be a 50/50.
She has the fluffy head and the BIG throat spots indiciative of an English/Show budgie.

Although the others may have a bit of English/Show in their ancestry, it definitely isn't as pronounced.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Ollie is the only one that looks like he could have some English in him, the way his chest looks and his little white beard :p He is gorgeous!! :loveeyes:

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Sarah,

She has the fluffy head and the BIG throat spots indiciative of an English/Show budgie.

Although the others may have a bit of English/Show in their ancestry, it definitely isn't as pronounced.
I agree with you too, Deb, I didn't notice her throat spots before :)

·
Member of the Month September 2012
3,723 Posts
You take spectacular pictures, Sarah! Your birds are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sarah,

Wow I actually thought Charlie or Ollie would be the most English in them! But now you point out Daisy's big throat spots I can see what you mean..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.