Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was depressed 2weeks ago and these 3 adorable budgies of mine were my only companion in the house for the meantime who help me a lot. Not in doing things but to cope with my mental stress or depression. Thanks to them, I feel better right now and my mood is ready to go. They are the ones who gave color to my days that I did not think much of. I guess I have this feeling of buying another budgie but I am just a little confused too because I'm sure when my partner will come home she won't like to see another budgie member. Any advice? I really need them now. thanks

·
Administrator
56,604 Posts
You should never buy any animal as an "impulse" purchase or in hopes of alleviating your own depression.
I suggest you seek counseling to help you with your problems.

Budgies are not disposable pets and are a life-long responsibility.
You already have three birds.
I would spend your time getting to know their individual personalities and perhaps bonding with them on an individual basis.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet?

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.

Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.

If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing two birds

3. Flock Dynamics
Flock Dynamics

Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?

Why buy from an reputable breeder rather than a big box pet store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?

Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should never buy any animal as an "impulse" purchase or in hopes of alleviating your own depression.
I suggest you seek counseling to help you with your problems.

Budgies are not disposable pets and are a life-long responsibility.
You already have three birds.
I would spend your time getting to know their individual personalities and perhaps bonding with them on an individual basis.

There are many things to take into consideration before getting another bird.

Do you really want another pet?

1. If you decide to get another budgie in the future, please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.

Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.

If there are no Avian Vets in your area, then finding an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience in dealing with small birds is the next best option.

2. Introducing the new bird to the current bird

Introducing two birds

3. Flock Dynamics
Flock Dynamics

Your Harmonious Flock

4. Where do you plan to get the new bird?

Why buy from an reputable breeder rather than a big box pet store

5. Vet Expense and Housing
Do you have the time, finances, etc to devote to another bird?

Are you ready, willing and able to house the new budgie separately on a permanent basis if it does not get along with your current bird after quarantine?

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
No language can ever express my feelings for the help I got from you. All I can say is ~Thank you, you have been of great help to me. I appreciate it and I'll try my best to follow them. :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.