Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
60,477 Posts

Hi, Kat --

It is normal for some budgies to seem to be in an almost constant molt.
A couple of mine are certainly in that category. :rolleyes:

Blue's diet sounds good and the fact that he's active, flies well, has frequent baths and natural wood perches are all very positive.

I have one budgie who sometimes frays his tail feather by the way he plays and his tail ends up rubbing against the cage bars (even though he's in a huge flight cage).
Does Blue seem to sit with his wings up against the bars of the cage where the flight feathers would rub against the bars?

I did find that frayed feathers can be a sign of deficiencies of minerals, such as calcium, zinc, selenium, manganese and magnesium.
These deficiencies may be associated with brittle, frayed feathers and itchy skin
However, Blue's condition is definitely puzzling as his other feathers all look quite shiny and healthy. :S

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer a qualified opinion on the state of his wing feathers as I've actually never seen any that have been frayed to that degree. :hug:
Hopefully one of the other members has better insight.

· Administrator
60,477 Posts
As frayed feathers can be a sign of deficiencies of minerals -- such as calcium, zinc, selenium, manganese and magnesium, does Blue have a good mineral block in his cage?

· Administrator
60,477 Posts
If Blue has skin dryness/dandruff then you might want to consider putting a warm mist humidifier in the room where you keep him.

I have one in the room with my "upstairs" birds which I run continually.
(There is also one on our furnace but I wanted additional moisture in the air where the majority of my birds reside.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.