Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a difficult one! LOL

I have a Bourkes parakeet - and have always thought she was a Ruby .... but tonight, she was rubbing her vent area on the edge of a feeder, almost as if she was mimicking what her neigbour, the male budgie does (the wild thing! LOL).

Now, I had a good look at her (or his??) vent - the skin is a good colour, no rash or irritation that I can see, no mites or other creepy crawlies, no pinnies.No obvious egg bum either.

I guess to know for sure, I'll have to get a DNA done - but thought maybe someone here might know if this is "common" behaviour of a (possibly) lone male Bourkes? Is Ruby really a Reuben? :laugh:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 2 female Bourkes and they don't do "the wild thing" (and I have a male Budgie than does), if that's any help!

Unfortunately though, my female Bourkes occasionally lay eggs. Since I have no male Bourke, they will never hatch... but I let them sit on them, as long as they want, so they don't lay more.

Then eventually, after a few weeks, they suddenly loose interest and are back to normal.

Reactions: chirper
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.