Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i took my bird to the avian specialist at the university of wisconsin hospital. she says his liver is really bad and prescribed a milk thistle in olive oil suspension medication to mix in his food.

though its pretty expensive, almost a hundred bucks and a high chance he wont even eat it, and i've spent over a thousand on vet bills in the past 2 months alone! I was wondering if there is any alternative like maybe milk thistle powder or something i can use. especially since there is a high chance he wont even eat it.

Though it seems weird overall cos this is something i would expect from a naturopath but she is a board certified avian specialist and telling me to use milk thistle o.o

but is there any powder or something milk thistle i can use that would be cheaper? Or could I maybe buy milk thistle seed and add it to his seed mix since I believe it also has silymarin which is what she prescribed in the first place
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Silymarin is the active ingredient in milk thistle, the milk thistle product I get from my avian vet is milk thistle with lactulose and it is a liquid, sort of a syrup and is not expensive. The lactulose helps to reduce ammonia levels in the blood which can be high with liver issues and also helps to reduce the absorption of toxins in the GI tract. I give this right into the mouth of the bird but it can also be put in the water but with the water method you can't be sure how much is actually being ingested. There are also bile acids that can be given depending on the severity of the problem. Did the vet do any tests, if not what is she basing the comment on that the liver is really bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silymarin is the active ingredient in milk thistle, the milk thistle product I get from my avian vet is milk thistle with lactulose and it is a liquid, sort of a syrup and is not expensive. The lactulose helps to reduce ammonia levels in the blood which can be high with liver issues and also helps to reduce the absorption of toxins in the GI tract. I give this right into the mouth of the bird but it can also be put in the water but with the water method you can't be sure how much is actually being ingested. There are also bile acids that can be given depending on the severity of the problem. Did the vet do any tests, if not what is she basing the comment on that the liver is really bad?
yeah she is a board certified avian specialist at the university hospital, its a huge deal and reputable place and very expensive. Did all kinds of test and his liver values looked bad
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top