Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm not sure exactly where this should go, so I'm going to hope it's okay here. Please fix for me if I'm wrong?

Thanks.

Now, my question is about how significantly a budgie's appearance can change after an early molt. The yellow guy has stayed yellow and has offered no surprises. However, my dark green pied spangle guy Dan has rearranged his colors quite a bit.

He was about 6-8 months old when I got him, and was growing in some pin feathers on his head. His belly was green on the bottom and dappled yellow and green on the top, rather like a Hawaiian shirt over green shorts. But I looked at him closely today and realized that his belly has gone green with just a few little yellow spots near where his wings meet the body. It looks like he's pulled his shorts up to his chin, so his little yellow face stands out in bright contrast.

I'm surprised, to say the least. I've never had a keet change like that. He's my first English budgie. Is this just part of growing up in English budgies? Is he likely to do this again? Anybody seen this before? Could you explain it to novice me, please?

I'd post pictures, but I haven't a working camera :(

·
Administrator
55,597 Posts
It doesn't happen only with "English" or "Show: Budgies.
With the pied mutation, it can happen with the "wild" type as well.

When I got Sunny, he was primarily yellow with just a hint of light green. In fact, he was more yellow colored than Shelby (hence his name - Sunny)

After Sunny's molt, his feathers came in with big patches of a vibrant green that he never had before. :giggle: Needless to say, I was quite surprised. :wow:

I don't think they change color again with subsequent molts, but I could be wrong and I'm sure one of the experts will come along soon with whether that is accurate or not. ;)

:wave:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.