Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use it as a regular therapy for your Bird's ? If not, why not ?

Being fairly opinionated at time's, especially when I feel something has become obvious to me, I will share my opinion.

I read the benefit's of using ACV here at talk budgies not long after I joined. My girl's had just gotten over an infection, and besides deciding to give probiotics on a fairly regular basis, I was looking for anything else I could do to help my babies maintain their health. That is when I came across this...

http://talkbudgies.com/holistic-natural-remedies-[articles]/103936-apple-cider-vinegar.html

After reading this article I did some other general info searching on this topic, and ever since, I have given my bird's ACV in their water every third day in the dose suggested in the sticky, 1/4 tsp per 4 oz of water. That will be 2 years ago in march, and I really believe that the use of ACV has played a big role in my bird's staying healthy since then. It is natural, inexpensive, easy to administer, and the jury is in when it comes to fact that it is beneficial. When I took my new tiel to the avian vet a couple month's back, he asked me if I used it, and said he takes it himself, and highly recommend's it for all his bird patient's. Here is what I use....

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,320 Posts
This is wonderful research Randy. I didn't no you could use Apple Cider Vinegar for our budgies. I'm going to read about your link you have just posted very interesting ill have to ask my avian vet about this to see if he uses it. Just read the link that Deb did she did a lot of very good research.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that was from Deb. I have done nothing except use it....:)

Reactions: Jo Ann

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
I too use ACV, though I am a little less exact in my measurements. Not sure if it helps the birds or not but it certainly isn't doing them any harm. I believe the chicks are all growing up nice and healthy if that is any indicator.

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
A great reminder Randy as here in Australia it is the hot and humid weather, this is when those horrible crop infections can occur more commonly Apple Cider Vinegar is a great tool to help combat these nasties.:budgie:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thank you for reminding me to this - I recently bought some at the supermarket because it was on special and I thought I'd give it a try on my lot. Of course, since putting it in the bottom of the pantry, I'd completely forgotten about it! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jonah

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I too use ACV, though I am a little less exact in my measurements. Not sure if it helps the birds or not but it certainly isn't doing them any harm. I believe the chicks are all growing up nice and healthy if that is any indicator.
No wonder your budgies alway's look so good....;)

A great reminder Randy as here in Australia it is the hot and humid weather, this is when those horrible crop infections can occur more commonly Apple Cider Vinegar is a great tool to help combat these nasties.:budgie:
Yes, it is supposed to be very effective in helping with killing off bacteria that causes crop infection, not to mention health for the digestive track. The avian vet told me he takes it himself because it is highly effective at helping our body metabolize/burn stomach fat...:eek:....:D

Thank you for reminding me to this - I recently bought some at the supermarket because it was on special and I thought I'd give it a try on my lot. Of course, since putting it in the bottom of the pantry, I'd completely forgotten about it! :rolleyes:
Good Kelly...your bird's will benefit, now that you remember you have it...:)

·
Member of the Month July 2014
3,835 Posts
I use the exact same brand, and I use it 3x a week..I believe it works, for the simple fact that none of my birds are ever sick (knock on wood)!!
My husband even drinks some in water(I couldn't do it lol), but it's a very inexpensive way to maintain the health of your budgies :)

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
I do the water sometimes but it is better as half olive oil-half vinegar with seasonings of your choice as a salad dressing.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have been using "the Mother" for some time now and I think it keeps them healthy, too.
Good Lucy...:)

I use it for myself also :).
That is awesome Rick. Like I said, my avian vet told me he used it himself, i am going to give it a whirl soon myself.....:cool:
Me too! If you aren't sure if it does anything try it out yourself. It's better than energy drinks and of course all natural.
Good feedback right there...thank you....:)

I use the exact same brand, and I use it 3x a week..I believe it works, for the simple fact that none of my birds are ever sick (knock on wood)!!
My husband even drinks some in water(I couldn't do it lol), but it's a very inexpensive way to maintain the health of your budgies :)
Couldn't agree with you more Kim....:)

I do the water sometimes but it is better as half olive oil-half vinegar with seasonings of your choice as a salad dressing.
Sorry Rick, but I am going to have to move your post to the recipe forum....:D

Reactions: Jo Ann

·
Member of the Month August 2015
1,633 Posts
Thanks for the post.. I bought some today and will start with the birds.. have to research the human use a bit before I give it a whirl. :)

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the post.. I bought some today and will start with the birds.. have to research the human use a bit before I give it a whirl. :)
That is great Judy, your bird's will surely benefit from it...:)

·
Member of the Month January 2015
403 Posts
Any advice for convincing a budgie that water with ACV isn't poisoned and/or disgusting? I've been trying to introduce it, but Duke won't touch it. I have two water silos, and I only put the ACV in one because I don't want him to dehydrate. I've gone from the recommended amount and adjusted down, trying to find a level he's okay with so I can work up from there. So far the only one he's touched is when I just used the eyedropper to stir the water before putting in the silo. So, you know, less than a drop — whatever amount was residual on the outside of the glass dropper. :rolleyes: Should I start rinsing millet in a water/ACV solution?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
Any advice for convincing a budgie that water with ACV isn't poisoned and/or disgusting? I've been trying to introduce it, but Duke won't touch it. I have two water silos, and I only put the ACV in one because I don't want him to dehydrate. I've gone from the recommended amount and adjusted down, trying to find a level he's okay with so I can work up from there. So far the only one he's touched is when I just used the eyedropper to stir the water before putting in the silo. So, you know, less than a drop - whatever amount was residual on the outside of the glass dropper. :rolleyes: Should I start rinsing millet in a water/ACV solution?
I read to give it to them very cold... they seem to like it better that way. Like out of the fridge cold.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any advice for convincing a budgie that water with ACV isn't poisoned and/or disgusting? I've been trying to introduce it, but Duke won't touch it. I have two water silos, and I only put the ACV in one because I don't want him to dehydrate. I've gone from the recommended amount and adjusted down, trying to find a level he's okay with so I can work up from there. So far the only one he's touched is when I just used the eyedropper to stir the water before putting in the silo. So, you know, less than a drop - whatever amount was residual on the outside of the glass dropper. :rolleyes: Should I start rinsing millet in a water/ACV solution?
Good question...I have no advice....try JW's suggestion and let us know please. I have not noticed any difference with my bird's or that they even know it is in the water. I like your idea on rinsing the millet in it...:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am going to start using it now! I have been researching it for a while and decided its no harm and all good. Time to promote some healthy budgies!

·
Member of the Month January 2015
403 Posts
Good question...I have no advice....try JW's suggestion and let us know please. I have not noticed any difference with my bird's or that they even know it is in the water. I like your idea on rinsing the millet in it...:)
I'm not sure if JW's advice worked or not. I served his ACV water cold, but I didn't notice when he first drank any. I did the millet thing too, and apparently he likes millet enough to risk being poisoned, because he ate it after only giving it a couple funny looks. He's now using the ACV silo, but I'm not sure whether one of those approaches worked or if he just got used to it. In any case, ACV success!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.