Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
366 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I am not in Oregon, but in Northern California it quite cold here as well. I noticed that if the temperature in our home is lower than 70 F the budgies tend to appear "cold" more fluffed up and less active (no to the extreme of sick). So, I've been keeping it a bit warmer now 75 F hubby isn't to stoked on our heating bill but I'm home all the time too, so we may as well be cozy together, right?

· Registered
366 Posts
Thank you for the link Deborah. :)

I have done most of the suggestions listed, so that's good to know I'm doing things right. I was interested in the pet snuggle things that were mentioned.

"You can also purchase a pet snuggle that is heated in the microwave and will stay warm for up to 8+ hours."

I am wondering if it would be safe to make one of my own? I regularly make Christmas gifts that are neck/body warmers, I use cotton fabric and fill with dried beans and/or rice. could I possibly make a smaller little pad like perch for the budgies?
I'm concerned they may chew on it or attempt to get to the beans inside. If they did would the dried beans that have been microwaved again and again be safe should they get to them? Or am I being overly paranoid?:S

· Registered
366 Posts
Dried beans in a sock or other cloth covering will work for maybe an hour and you need to monitor the birds and warm and repeat as needed, small plastic bottles with hot water and covered in a sock or towel work as well, small hot water bottles will work too. The snuggle lasts so much longer like at night so you can sleep.

If you use a sock with dry beans try wrapping it in a small cage
with a mylar space blanket around the outside as it should capture the heat and reflect back into the birds body and keep it warmer. The mylar is cheap but is also delicate. It lasts better attached to outside of a small blanket .
I am seeing these blankets for people and pet beds with mylar sandwhiched
in between the layers here in the US. This could be a cheap experiment making cage covers cut to size with mylar and soft blanket attached to the outside. Best wishes, Jo Ann:p
Just what I needed to hear, thank you.
Now I have a good excuse to get one and hubby can't be annoyed that I want to get one because the snuggle thing lasts soooo much longer :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.