Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love rainbow budgies! I saw my first one in person about a week ago. At first I didn't know what it was. It was this gray budgie that had both gray and green speckled feathers going down it's breast. I was like woa! Then I just now remembered the term "rainbow budgie" and Googled it. Finding a lot of budgies like the one I saw in Google images.

So are "rainbow budgies" an actual mutation? Or just a term?
And how rare are they?
I'd like to get one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
A rainbow budgie is a group of mutations. Usually a blue series bird with yellow face type 2, opaline, and clearwing.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If I remember correctly a rainbow isn't a mutation on its own, but a combination of a few mutations. A rainbow is actually a yellowface (mutant 2)(or Goldenface) Opaline Whitewing Blues. They are lovely birds.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Luti-Kriss,

Here is another past TB-thread on this subject...showing some fine example from lady in Germany, one of my own and another from Nev90 (he's the real genetics expert, amongst others here at TB)...

Here it is:
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=71833

Breeding "Rainbows" in pet-type and later in "show-type" budgies is my ultimate aim (not that's it's easy with lack of "proper clearwing" genetics across the world; except Australia of course!)...and sofar the TB forum has helped me extremely well understanding the mix of genetics needed (as mentioned above) to achieve this "composite genetic budgie"..

Enjoy!

JacodK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.