Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two new birds (and am new to here and the parakeet world as some of you have already seen) :)

Do my parakeets have some sort of a morph name? I think it's going to be harder to sex Cloudy.

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
1st one maybe a sky blue opaline and the second I have no clue but it could a a yeallow face type 1 sky blue opaline :S

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i think second is a type 2 yellowface sky blue
first one i'm really not sure. would need a better picture of wing markings.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I would say skyblue opaline greywing for the first one and YF skyblue for the second (I'm mixed too with Amelia as it is not dark enough to be colbalt and still a bit dark to be skyblue)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I took more photos.

The darker bird is Tealy.

This is Cloudy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info everyone! I love learning more about them each day. Are both of these very common morphs? I have a feeling that cloudy is actually a male an not a female like I originally thought, even though his/her cere is light. It's still got a bluish tinge. I guess it's still early to tell as these are young birds.

They are so individual...it makes me want 10 birds!!

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone! I love learning more about them each day. Are both of these very common morphs? I have a feeling that cloudy is actually a male an not a female like I originally thought, even though his/her cere is light. It's still got a bluish tinge. I guess it's still early to tell as these are young birds.

They are so individual...it makes me want 10 birds!!
I suppose it depends really on the person, I personally have a lot of greywings in my flock as thats what I breed, I also have had a fair few yellowface cobalts :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think Tealy is definitely a girl, Cloudy I'm not sure of because I couldn't really see his/her cere :). They're so beautiful! I LOVE yfs, and cloudy's morph doesn't seem very common to me.. he/she is stunning! :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a skyblue greywing (actually my avatar) and I find it hard to find birds without yellow face around here. It probably depends on your area.

If you get a good shot of their ceres I'm sure people here can tell you their gender for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You see more of Cloudys face in this photo. I should take better photos of their ceres so I can see if you think Cloudy is a male. I was hoping they were both female. If Cloudy turns out to be male, I'm wondering if it's better to get a third bird (female). I don't want him to harass Tealy overmuch once they become sexually mature! ...do they even do that? lol

Sorry to ask so many questions. You have all been a great help!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Females are the ones that harass each other and the males. You want to have more males than females to avoid more major fighting. 2 males would get along just fine. I kind of feel sorry for my males because they have to deal with the girls picking on them constantly.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The first one is an opaline greywing sky blue. (The tail and the cheek patches are not right for a cinnamon) In the last picture it looks like the face is slightly yellow

The second is a yellow face sky blue normal. It looks a deeper shade than most sky blues so it could have a violet factor or it might be just the photo

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The first one is an opaline greywing sky blue. (The tail and the cheek patches are not right for a cinnamon) In the last picture it looks like the face is slightly yellow

The second is a yellow face sky blue normal. It looks a deeper shade than most sky blues so it could have a violet factor or it might be just the photo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.