Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi eveyrone,

I have a male and female that are sooo pretty. I love grey and blue budgies. This is Stormy and Joey. I brought home Stormy a few weeks ago (she's about 8 + months) and I brought home Joey a week ago. I'm guessing that the main color of both is Mauve? or is it something else?

I'm also wondering, if they like each other, might I get mauve/grey babies? and would some be greywing? This is one of my future hopeful pairs I'm thinking about. I don't know what other colors they may be hiding. I won't be putting a breeding box up until I'm sure they are old enough, but I'm anxious to know if they would indeed make a good pair to get some interesting colored babies. :)

---- Kimberley Smith

Attachments

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I have a hard time ID'ing Mauve's:eek:

to me though they do look like Yellow Face Mauve's

How ever you won't get any Grey wings unless the female is Split for it - Grey wing is recessive both parents have to carry the gene to get it. But if she's not split to it all the babies will be split to grey wing

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
For some reason the photos wont increase in size. From the small photos they look normal mauve yellow face type two and a mauve grey yellow face type two grey wing. Please before you breed do as much research as possible and them some more. And make sure they are both at least a year old if not 18 months. If there colors are correct and you breed them you will get...
grey and mauves
100% normals
100% yellow face
no grey wing unless the other bird is split for grey wing. you may also get other color mutations if they are split for anything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your pair is gorgeous!! :)
I particularly love your male :D
I also hope for greywings , but , as in your case, only my male does express this mutation.

Good luck!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
You don't get 100% yellow face babies when you put 2 yellow face budgies together

You get Partial Yellow Face
Part normal(white face)
part double factor Yellow face- Visually a white face but in fact is a yellow face

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't get 100% yellow face babies when you put 2 yellow face budgies together

You get Partial Yellow Face
Part normal(white face)
part double factor Yellow face- Visually a white face but in fact is a yellow face
Really interesting! Thank you! Curious, what does a partial yellow face look like?

I can now hardly wait to see babies from this pair but I know I have a bit of a wait still. It's exciting to know I could get grey or mauve from this pair but then again, I have no idea what either is split to and how that could affect the babies. If they do have some little bubs in the future, I'lll certainly share some pictures of them as they grow. :) I still have a lot of reading and research to do.

----- Kimberley Smith

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I don't mean Partial as in it'll only have part of a yellow face

I meant as in PART of the babies will be yellow face, Part will be Normals and Part of them will be Double factor yellow faces

I'm not sure of the exact percentage other than you won't get 100% yellow face I've put 2 Yellow face parents together many times and never got 100% yellow face babies

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
mauve and grey can be very similar, i can't really tell from those pics. however, mauve should have violet cheek patches and a blue tail. grey should have blue or grey cheek patches and a black tail.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
mauve and grey can be very similar, i can't really tell from those pics. however, mauve should have violet cheek patches and a blue tail. grey should have blue or grey cheek patches and a black tail.
The female's tail is Dark blue(like Navy blue) her cheek patches look cobalt blue

the male is Grey wing so his tail is Grey because he's grey wing his cheeks are also a cobalt blue

I'm able to click on the attachments and they go bigger not sure why they won't for any one else

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone! I can hardly wait until this pair has little bubs. I'll definitely post pictures. I'm guessing that I might have babies from them in about 4-5 months. I don't know the exact age of the female but I'm going to wait at least a few months before I put up any breeding boxes for the females that do look old enough.

I love my little Joey. I love his color too but he is also so sweet. Last night he came up to the cage door when I went up to talk to him. I opened the door to see if he wanted out and he happily stepped on my finger. I went to go put him on the bird gym perch but no, he wanted to stay with me. He was so content and my heart melted.

I'm hoping that even though I may not get grey wing babies from him right away with this pair that I can breed the offspring to grey wing in the future to hopefully get babies that look similar or just as pretty as Joey. Only time will tell. It's exciting to hear what the color possibilities might be.

--- Kimberley Smith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.