Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, these are my tho budgies - Ludwig (blue) and Gerta (green). For the past few weeks i am very confused on their behavior. Gerta is a female so she is more territorial, and i hoped that that would explain a few times when she would try to not let Ludwig touch the toys she is playing with or the bowl she is eating from. At the same time there are many times when she shares everything and there is no problem with that. Ludwig is a male and he is very friendly and playful, so he always wants to join Gerta which might sometimes tire her seeing as she is not as active as him? Below are two videos of their different behavior which gets me confused, are they friends or not really. I was ready to separate them but they do look like they get along and just sometimes play like this or just get in a mood. I would really appreciate advise on this and hopefully i can keep them both together because otherwise one of them will be alone in a room most of the time.

What happened on the first video happens pretty rarely, i saw it only three times but other times it is less active but still not too friendly.

On the second video she got distracted because my sister came to the room.

·
Administrator
57,894 Posts
Apparently you switched their names?
In your other thread you indicated the Green was Ludwig (and she is FEMALE)
In that thread you said the blue was Gerta (and he is MALE).
I'm confused because you've written the opposite names in this thread.

In the first video, it is apparent that the female does not want to be bothered by the male and he is persistent.
Do you have two separate bowls of food as well as two separate bowls of water in the cage?

If this is not behavior that happens frequently, then you have nothing to be overly concerned about at this time.
However, if the female begins bullying the male on a frequent basis (without his provocation) that will be a different story.
IF that happens, then you could put the cages side by side and only give them supervised out of cage time together.

In the second video, the male is preening the female and she is accepting his attention.

As you've been told previously, since you have a mixed gender pair, you must do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently you switched their names?
In your other thread you indicated the Green was Ludwig (and she is FEMALE)
In that thread you said the blue was Gerta (and he is MALE).
I'm confused because you've written the opposite names in this thread.

In the first video, it is apparent that the female does not want to be bothered by the male and he is persistent.
Do you have two separate bowls of food as well as two separate bowls of water in the cage?

If this is not behavior that happens frequently, then you have nothing to be overly concerned about at this time.
However, if the female begins bullying the male on a frequent basis (without his provocation) that will be a different story.
IF that happens, then you could put the cages side by side and only give them supervised out of cage time together.

In the second video, the male is preening the female and she is accepting his attention.

As you've been told previously, since you have a mixed gender pair, you must do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Thank you for your response. I did swap their names because originally i thought that they were different genders. They do have separate food bowls and i added more of Ludwigs favorite seeds to the other one so he gets used to eat from it then Gerta is using their favorite one. I am planning to buy the same one so they both have a bowl they like. I only have one place to drink from and one bath they usually like to drink out of. I am planning to get another thing for them to drink water out if a lack of the second one will cause problems, but so far it was never an issue. Thank you again for your response, i am happy that there is nothing to stress about right now.

·
Administrator
57,894 Posts
If there has been no problem with them drinking from the same bowl, then don't bother to get a second one.
Thanks for letting me know you switched their names! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts