Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In the last week, I have seen 3 lacewings in my local
petshops. 2 of them being English. Are there many of
these around or would you call them "rare".
Or are there alot here In queensland?

How about you? Where do you live and how
often do you see them? We all the know the
greens are EVERYWHERE! :p

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
We have not many in the UK Tegan as most breeders never concentrate on this variety, they are not a rare variety but they are eye catching

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh really, So not many people are after birds liek these?
seems everyone wants the spangles. I never knew they
were so sought after

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Oh really, So not many people are after birds liek these?
seems everyone wants the spangles. I never knew they
were so sought after
We have a lot of exhibition birds in the UK and it is easier to breed other variety's to a good colour and size than it is lacewings .

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
They are quite scarce in New Zealand. I have never seen any in pet shops and the only NZ breeder I could find with any to sell was fellow Talkbudgies member Anj. I have bred some from ciinnamon & ino combinations and I now have 7. Only a couple of them are well marked but I'm hopeful they will produce better ones in the coming season

·
Registered
870 Posts
If I found a lacewing...ANYWHERE, I'd buy it. A fellow TB member might have one this coming winter for me...just depends how her fall season goes.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I think they're pretty but in Sydney I hardly see any interesting varietys only dominant pieds and normals really :p

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i had lacewings years ago, got my first from a pet shop. i also got my original fallows from a pet shop, it is amazing what you can find... lacewings are one of my favourite varieties.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have a **** bird split for cinnamon + ino so I expect when he breeds I will sooner or later end up with a lacewing hen from him. I'll certainly be letting you all know :) It will be from an exhibition pairing - my two best birds in fact :) Should produce some wonderful chicks.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never seen a lacewing in my area. I think they are beautiful that's why I'm trying to breed them.
Oh great, I think I have been following your journal? :)

I think they're pretty but in Sydney I hardly see any interesting varietys only dominant pieds and normals really :p
Oh wow really? There seem to be soo many here.

If I found a lacewing...ANYWHERE, I'd buy it. A fellow TB member might have one this coming winter for me...just depends how her fall season goes.
Oh wow really? I see a few here... I guess there arn't so many.

They are quite scarce in New Zealand. I have never seen any in pet shops and the only NZ breeder I could find with any to sell was fellow Talkbudgies member Anj. I have bred some from ciinnamon & ino combinations and I now have 7. Only a couple of them are well marked but I'm hopeful they will produce better ones in the coming season
It seems there are not many anywhere. Although I have
seen a few here where I am In Queensland.
And thats great about you being able to breed lacewings.

i had lacewings years ago, got my first from a pet shop. i also got my original fallows from a pet shop, it is amazing what you can find... lacewings are one of my favourite varieties.
Oh really? I have never owned one, and Im not so sure
about my love for that particular mutation ^_^

I have a **** bird split for cinnamon + ino so I expect when he breeds I will sooner or later end up with a lacewing hen from him. I'll certainly be letting you all know :) It will be from an exhibition pairing - my two best birds in fact :) Should produce some wonderful chicks.
Oh wow how exciting :) I look forward to seeing a journal
if you do let him breed. Sounds super exciting :D Oh how
I love pictures!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
dean, do you find the larger feathered birds have softer markings? it seems to me that the markings are not as crisp and clear on the exhibition types.

i was wondering as i love the strong markings on lacewings so have always thought that the pet type ones were a better option for that variety. then again maybe it is just that many breeders concentrate on size and shape over markings, and the bigger birds can have just as good markings too if it is selected for...

what do you think?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just curious, I have a Skyblue Violet Spangle Cinnamon hen. If she were paired to an ino what are my chances?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
no chance inthe first generation. you need to get both the cinnamon and ino genes into one bird before the random cross-over can move them to the same chromosome and create the lacewing combination.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
no chance inthe first generation. you need to get both the cinnamon and ino genes into one bird before the random cross-over can move them to the same chromosome and create the lacewing combination.
Ok so how do you know you have both, by test breeding?

Provided the ino **** is split for cinnamon, the female offsprings are cinnamon ino. This is the best bet.
So your saying use my hen and a ino male split for cinn?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
The more I read and try to learn about mutations - I am amazed at the science behind it all. Perhaps this is why I am quite rubbish at guessing..... I stank at science :eek:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Ok so how do you know you have both, by test breeding?

So your saying use my hen and a ino male split for cinn?
yes you need to test breed, but if you get a **** bird with ino and cinnamon on the same chromosome (which = lacewing) then you will get lacewing hens.

an ino/cinnamon **** would be ideal. he could also be described as ino/lacewing as he would have one chromosome with ino and one with both ino and cinnamon - Xino / Xino-cinn

however the ino/cinnamons are not that easy to find as there needs to be a cross-over event to get the cinnamon and ino on the same chromosome.

and if i have just made the whole thing more confusing feel free to ask again, or ignore me!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
an ino/cinnamon **** would be ideal. he could also be described as ino/lacewing as he would have one chromosome with ino and one with both ino and cinnamon - Xino / Xino-cinn

BUT how do you know you have a bird with the above?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.