Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought her home this afternoon. Isn't she cute?! :budgie:

Most of her brothers were white based spangles - but her markings are so light, I can't tell if she is a spangle or not. Any thoughts?

I thought she was a yellow base at first, but she definitely has some grey/blue on her lower belly. Is an extreme yellowface or something?

Additional pics here: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=100495

Thanks!

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
I would say she is definatly spangle, after that Im still learning.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
She certainly is a beauty! On my monitor her belly
looks grey. Is she supposed to be green?

Her face is a deeper yellow than the rest of her, so
I'm going to go waaay out on a limb here (fully
expecting someone who knows more to chop it off
from underneath me), and say she is a blue-based
spangle pied, who is also type II yellow face. Just
as an FYI, please bear in mind I'm new to learning
this as well, so I could very likely be wrong.

I'm really curious to hear what everyone else thinks too :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, her chest is a grey/green, and he abdomen is a dusty blue/grey color. It's hard to tell in the pictures, and the colors seem to fade into each other.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Could you post a photo of her back to confirm opaline. The last photo makes me say grey. The cheek patches will tell you if she's grey or mauve. A mauve will have the bright blue/violet cheek patches of a normal bird. A grey will have a dusty blue cheek patch. Are these photos with flash?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
After a second look, I'm almost certain in was wrong, initially, about the opaline. I'll be waiting or a photo (no flash) of her back.

And, btw, she's gorgeous! :loveeyes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Looks like Opaline Yellowface II (Single Factor) Dominant Pied (Single Factor) Spangle

But as for the grey, i'm not sure, because the purplish cheek marks make me think maybe a violet? Because I've seen violets and yellowfaces look grey/greenish sometimes.

So I'd say all that stuff at the beginning and either a grey or a violet (Double Factor)

I'm not an expert though, I just practice on the budgies that come into the pet store I work at, but I've never seen one like this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your input everyone! All of the pics were taken with flash, so I'll get some natural light pics later today. I notices that she doesn't have the black spots under her colored cheek patches like my other birds do - is that what you are talking about, Erin?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
The black throat spots are often missing in pet type pieds and/or spangles. As yours is both, I am not surprised they're missing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the best picture I could get of her back - she is nervous about having her back face me. It's with the flash:

Without flash:

With flash (she is very good at posing for the camera!):

You can really see that there is a color change above and below her pied marking - greenish to greyish.

Picture without flash (image is very close to her actual color):

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
She looks like a mauve, yellowface II, dominant pied, opaline spangle (all mutations sf with the exception of the mauve and opaline) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.