Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
59,479 Posts
Are you indicating that ONE budgie had 12 eggs?

Before breeding any species, it is important to learn as much about the animals, their personalities, and the best practices to follow for responsible and ethical breeding prior to making the commitment to take on the responsibility.

Please provide answers to all of the following questions:

How long have you owned budgies?
How old are the budgies you allowed to breed?
Do you have the pair in an individual breeding cage?
Is the nest box a proper one with a concave bottom?
Do you have any experience with breeding?
Are you certain the birds are not related?
What specific diet do you have them on at this time?
What are you planning to do with any offspring?
Do you have an Avian Vet?
Do you know how to properly hand feed a chick should something unforeseen happen?

You will need to check the nest box twice a day as the eggs are hatching. Check in the morning and afternoon to make sure all is well.

Be sure to completely clean your hands with soap and water before handling the eggs or the chicks.
Bacteria from your hands can be absorbed through the shell which can harm the baby.

Once all the eggs have hatched, you'll need to start cleaning the nest box.
When the chicks are small, you can do this every few days, then as they grow you'll need to clean it every day, and then likely twice a day once they get really big. (2.5-3 weeks old). You want to make sure that you are keeping the nest clean and dry so that no bacteria can grow and harm the chicks.
Use a safe bedding like pine shavings or aspen shavings. You can find these at any pet store.

You can start handling the chicks for short periods of time once they are around 2-2.5 weeks old. Make sure you wash your hands, and that your hands are not cold. You can hold each one for about 15 minutes at a time, and as they grow and feather up, you can extend this time little by little.

When the chicks reach 3 1/2 weeks you need to remove the mother from the cage. Put her into a cage of her own.
This is for two reasons: To prevent her from double-clutching and to prevent her from becoming aggressive toward the chicks.
The father will continue to care for the chicks until they are fully fledged and weaned.

Domestic budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.
In the future, as you have a mixed gender pair, it is VERY important you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

·
Super Moderator
19,597 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums,

You are in a pretty difficult situation right now so the first recommendation is to read all the links provided above and we look forward to hearing your answers to the questions above!

Please be sure to ask if you have any questions after reviewing the links provided as we'd be happy to help.

We hope to hear updates soon!

Best wishes :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have 2 female adults and 1 male.... the females took the full clutch of eggs. 12 total... I female took the 3 viable eggs and nested them.... 2 babies are 3 weeks old and trying to fly in the nest, plus take care of the younger non feathered baby.

First clutch, had to drop 9 eggs.

3 survived and one is absolutely pure white with blue eyes....

I had to dump 9 (non starters)

First clutch, add any advice

·
Administrator
59,479 Posts
Please do not allow your budgies to breed again in the future.
The female that is not caring for the chicks should be moved into a different cage at this time.

I've provided advice on how to handle the three that hatched in my post above.
Ensuring the chicks are exposed to a healthy diet of a high quality seed mix, vegetables and pellets as they wean is very important.
As indicated above, the female caring for the chicks needs to be removed from the cage with the chicks when they reach 3 1/2 weeks old
(or before if she becomes aggressive toward them).

If there are specific questions you have that you are unable to find answered in the budgie articles and stickies in the top of the breeding section of the forum, please post those in this thread and I will do my best to assist you with them.

What are you planning to do with the three offspring?

I strongly suggest that after the chicks are fully fledged and weaned you separate the budgies by gender to prevent any possibilities of breeding in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts