Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I agree the **** bird is probably normal light green, but can you post a picture of his back to confirm he's not opaline?

I think your hen is a yellow face opaline sky blue. If so, all the male chicks will be normal split to opaline and all the female chicks will be normal. If the **** bird is split to opaline, I think all the chicks will be opalines. http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html Can you post more pics of the hen?

Since green is dominant to blue, all the chicks will be green unless the **** bird is split to blue, in which case 50% will be green and 50% will be blue. The chicks will be no darker than light green (like their dad) or sky blue (like their mom). I think 1/2 of the sky blue chicks will be yellow face ... but I'm not sure. :p

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You

Thanks to everyone who answered this post for your help:) I will post the pictures you asked for soon...the site isn't letting me upload pictures right now for some reason:S Budgiebud, have you ever bred a pair similar to mine?:)

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, here are the pictures you wanted. Please let me know if you need any others:) Just go to the links below (copy and paste without the part):)Thanks again:D [MEDIA=flick...7765[/MEDIA] [MEDIA=flickr]6013257751[/MEDIA]

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Thanks to everyone who answered this post for your help:) I will post the pictures you asked for soon...the site isn't letting me upload pictures right now for some reason:S Budgiebud, have you ever bred a pair similar to mine?:)
Yes, the hen looks like "Yellow Face Mutant 1 Opaline Cobalt".

I have a similar pair in breeding cage now. The only difference is that the hen is Normal Green and the **** is Yellow Face Mutant 1 Opaline Cobalt. :p She is sitting on 5 eggs right now.

As far the babies, the list of probable chicks colors and mutations will be very long, as one has to consider what your pair is split for other mutations.

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a similar pair in breeding cage now. The only difference is that the hen is Normal Green and the **** is Yellow Face Mutant 1 Opaline Cobalt. :p She is sitting on 5 eggs right now.

As far the babies, the list of probable chicks colors and mutations will be very long, as one has to consider what your pair is split for other mutations.

That is so cool!!!:) I will be curious to see what color your babies turn out:) Thanks for your help!:D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hmm... they kind of both look like boys to me, as for the mutations, I have no idea, you'll just have to try, and tell us what happens!!

·
Registered
96 Posts

The hen is yellowface mutant TWO, not one, and sky blue, not cobalt. ;)

Since opaline is a sex-linked trait, the outcomes of Budgiebud's pair and of Pate9713 's pair will be different, since in one the **** is opaline, and in the other, the hen is opaline.

For Pates outcomes, Light green normal **** X yf2 sky blue opaline hen, it will depend on whether the **** is split to blue.

If not, then all light green chicks, all the males split to opaline, but no visual opaline chicks, unless the father is split to opaline. So actually, unless the **** is split to blue and opaline, you will only get ONE kind of chick.

If he IS split to blue, then there can be blue and yf2 chicks, and of course, there can always be surprises if both parents are split to the right kinds of things. :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

The hen is yellowface mutant TWO, not one, and sky blue, not cobalt. ;)

Since opaline is a sex-linked trait, the outcomes of Budgiebud's pair and of Pate9713 's pair will be different, since in one the **** is opaline, and in the other, the hen is opaline.

For Pates outcomes, Light green normal **** X yf2 sky blue opaline hen, it will depend on whether the **** is split to blue.

If not, then all light green chicks, all the males split to opaline, but no visual opaline chicks, unless the father is split to opaline. So actually, unless the **** is split to blue and opaline, you will only get ONE kind of chick.

If he IS split to blue, then there can be blue and yf2 chicks, and of course, there can always be surprises if both parents are split to the right kinds of things. :)
I have photographed my "Yellow Face Mutant 1 Opaline Cobalt" in different lights. You can see different shades of blue. Additionally, in one picture it looks like Yellow Face Mutant 1 Single Factor, in the other one it appears as Yellow Face Mutant 2 Double Factor, in the bottom left picture is appears to be a Goldenface.

So colors look different in the pictures.
You saw the color in the picture as sky blue.
I saw the color as blue.

I said "Yellow Face Mutant 1" because I didn't see the spread of yellow in the body. I checked the pictures again, but I am still not sure as the pictures are blurry. It is very difficult to tell exactly without bigger and clearer pictures.

I know the outcomes of my pair and of Pate9713's pair will be different as the pairs are totally different. That's why I mentioned that the list of probable chicks colors and mutations will be very long, as the parents can be split to anything. I just shared the closest pictures I had, as I was asked if I bred something like that. :)

·
Accidentally in love.
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Budgiedin & Budgiebud for the correction:) I appreciate you wanting to help me:) Sorry about the blurry pictures...my budgies do not like to stay still for long;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I have photographed my "Yellow Face Mutant 1 Opaline Cobalt" in different lights. You can see different shades of blue. Additionally, in one picture it looks like Yellow Face Mutant 1 Single Factor, in the other one it appears as Yellow Face Mutant 2 Double Factor, in the bottom left picture is appears to be a Goldenface.

So colors look different in the pictures.
You saw the color in the picture as sky blue.
I saw the color as blue.

I said "Yellow Face Mutant 1" because I didn't see the spread of yellow in the body. I checked the pictures again, but I am still not sure as the pictures are blurry. It is very difficult to tell exactly without bigger and clearer pictures.

I know the outcomes of my pair and of Pate9713's pair will be different as the pairs are totally different. That's why I mentioned that the list of probable chicks colors and mutations will be very long, as the parents can be split to anything. I just shared the closest pictures I had, as I was asked if I bred something like that. :)

Your picture is an excellent example of how a photo can easily give an incorrect impression of the colour of the same bird

When the quality of the pictures of Pate9713's bird is taken into account I think the bird in question is probably mutant type 1 yellow face opaline sky blue.

What ever her mutation is it wont make any difference to the outcome unless the green **** is split for blue or opaline. If he is not split for anything all the chicks will be normal green

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Your picture is an excellent example of how a photo can easily give an incorrect impression of the colour of the same bird

When the quality of the pictures of Pate9713's bird is taken into account I think the bird in question is probably mutant type 1 yellow face opaline sky blue.

What ever her mutation is it wont make any difference to the outcome unless the green **** is split for blue or opaline. If he is not split for anything all the chicks will be normal green
Thanks Nev. Nice explanation as usual. You are always great help. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.