Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby just out of nest box and mum has scale mite. Can I treat with a drop of ivermectin yet? I always just treated to prevent mites, but this could be to cure and bird is little.
How long should I quarantine and how many times/frequency should I treat before popping her in with the general population. She is in with two other birds from the aviary where her Mum probably was before the breeding cage, I will treat them with the same regiment and she wont be alone.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Given the fact this is a budgie chick, it would be best to get professional advice from an avian vet as to the right treatment procedures for the little one.
Personally, I wouldn't risk to apply the spot on treatment before the chick is at least 8 weeks old.

And as to the frequency on which you will be applying the product, that would depend on the severity of the case. Standard procedure is applying one time and then repeat treatment two weeks later.

You will also need to thorughly wash and disinfect the cage and all accessories, toys, perches, food/water containers etc after applying the product on your budgies. This is done in order to prevent reinfestation from the mites.

Good luck! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.