Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the question in my breeding journal- http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=91286, but realized people might not see it to answer there, so I am posting it here in Mutations and Genetics. Hope that is ok to do! :)

My original post:

Now that the babies are starting to get downy and form little pokey pins I am getting curious about what they might be (mutations).

As far as i know, the parents are (please correct me if i am wrong)-
Hen. Monkey- Skyblue Spangle
****. Squirrel- SF T2Y Mauve Normal
Photos of mom and dad are in my first post in this thread.

If i understand their genetics correctly, all babies will be cobalt with 50/50 spangle and 50/50 yellowface. I don't know if the parents are split for anything, and if so i don't know what...

The babies are 8 and 10 days old today and I am wondering what to look for when their feathers start coming in to distinguish normal wing markings from spangle. If either baby is opaline, that would mean it is a hen, right? What other "clues" can i look for early on?

Thanks!
Any info/insight would be appreciated!

:p

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, any hens will be opaline. if it is a normal I expect you will see a lot more black than a spangle would have.
Thank you for the reply. :)

Sorry if this question if obvious, but would more black vs more white wing markings be apparent before the pins are out and open? Is it possible to tell by the color they look like they are forming under the skin? Or do you have to wait until those feathers start to open up and show color?

Question about Type 2 yellowface in babies... will i know if a baby is a yellowface right away? Or can they start off with less pigment and develop yellow later on?

I am hoping i have at least one YF Spangle. :p

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Hi. You can tell an opaline chick by it's bright white down, compared to the grey down of a non opaline chick. If your male is split to opaline, 50% of female chicks will be opaline. So just because a chick isn't opaline, doesn't mean it's not female. You should start to be able to see the YF soon. Their little pinnies on their heads will be yellow if they have it. You are correct that they will all be cobalt, half spangle, about half YF.

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. You can tell an opaline chick by it's bright white down, compared to the grey down of a non opaline chick. If your male is split to opaline, 50% of female chicks will be opaline. So just because a chick isn't opaline, doesn't mean it's not female. You should start to be able to see the YF soon. Their little pinnies on their heads will be yellow if they have it. You are correct that they will all be cobalt, half spangle, about half YF.
Thank you Erin! :) Exactly the info i was looking for. I want to give you karma, but it looks like i can't yet. ;)

I don't even know if Squirrel is split for opaline, but i'm so curious if i have boys or girls i thought it would be nice to have an indicator like that... but it makes sense that a non-opaline baby could still be a girl.

I *feel* like i have boys. LoL. Maybe wishful thinking, but they just feel like boys to me. Especially Baby Two, i go back and forth on Baby One... :p

On the one hand I want them to hurry up and feather up! On the other hand, I don't want them to grow up so quickly!

:rolleyes:

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
In this pic, you can see the contrast of the grey down (chick at the top) and the white down (2 chicks at bottom. 1 opaline, 1 lacewing).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340752225.640781.jpg

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In this pic, you can see the contrast of the grey down (chick at the top) and the white down (2 chicks at bottom. 1 opaline, 1 lacewing).
Ahhhh! Thank you for the visual. :)
Do you have any photos of spangle babies around this age? 2-3weeks old?

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't. I have a DF spangle male without a mate - how sad. :)
Ooh~ a whole clutch of spangle babies? He needs to get with it and find himself a lady. ;)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I think, although I may be wrong, a SF spangle baby will have clear tail feathers - in your case since the birds will be blue series, that would mean white tail feathers (the center two feathers). So you could check their fluffy little butts and see if you have a spangle coming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.