Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to establish a mutation in babies by the amount and disposal of blue/green in the skin when pin feathers start to show?

I have a 10 days old baby and he started to show his pin feathers. By the tail , i think is't spangle, but what surprises me is that he does have very little blue showing in his wings. What is that mean? Pied or something? I saw on other journal here that chicks his age show a lot more blue already in the skin.

Can you give me a hint about what can he be? He has clear orange beak too. ( This was the baby that i thought it had plum eyes when hatched)

Dad is creamino and mum is yf spangle skyblue. I don't know if dad is hiding or split to other mutations.

Can you show me pics of babies at this age showing how much blue should they have in the wing skin?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I think that this bird is a Spangle - the primary tail feathers are an indication of that. I can't see anything more at this stage. The orange beak is usually an indication of a RP, but I don't know if RP's are the only mutation with an orange beak.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
You definitely have a pied there! Probably a recessive :)

Spangles do have white/ light yellow main tail feathers, but your little baby has 3 white tail feathers instead of 2 like a spangle would have so it could just be the pied effecting them, or spangle in addition to the pied if the wing markings end up being spangle :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely spangle and definitely pied :D

Te second male started to show his pins too. He , as well, have a pied spot behind his head and FOUR white feathers in the tail, the rest of them being spangle.

In the photos is the first baby

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
The progression of this thread is awesome. Strong looking chicks :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all !

Here are some new photos with the first two babies:

The older one is yellowface spangle pied, as far as i see. I don't know yet the coluor, but i think cobalt or a dark factor.

Second one i see pied spot on the head, spangle tail feathers and that's all i can see right now.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.