Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Super Moderator
Thank you for rescuing the poor baby, do you know its age, it has several injuries that would benefit from a visit to an avian vet, do you have one? It also appears that the bird may have scaly face mites, I see something on the beak and below the cere that looks a bit crusty. You should be quarantining this bird from others for at least 30 days Quarantine IS Necessary!
StarlingWings will comment on the gender but it may be still too young to say for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for rescuing the poor baby, do you know its age, it has several injuries that would benefit from a visit to an avian vet, do you have one? It also appears that the bird may have scaly face mites, I see something on the beak and below the cere that looks a bit crusty. You should be quarantining this bird from others for at least 30 days Quarantine IS Necessary!
StarlingWings will comment on the gender but it may be still too young to say for sure.
Hi Cody,

It should be a few weeks old, maybe 3, as it's not yet fully fledged. No worries, all injuries have been taken care of, sadly we don't have an avian vet around but I - happily or not - do have some experience with injured birds. No scaly mites, thank God, just dried blood from how the parents beat it :( Little feathered ball is in quarantine and will receive the necessary preventive antiparasitic medication when time comes. Thanks so much for your care and all comments! That's highly appreciated! 馃挄

Registered
Would you ever consider anonymously reporting this breeder to local animal welfare? It's so great that there are loving and caring people like you in the world, but the breeders who allow situations like this to happen should be fined and banned from breeding animals. Hopefully the birds at the breeders would be relocated to loving homes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would, if it would be a breeder. His pet budgies decided to mate... Despite not having anything around them to encourage that. That makes me hope this little one is a girl, as my other one is a girl as well and I sure don't want them breeding

Super Moderator
Yeti is adorable; despite her young age I am glad you have the experience to take her in and hand feed her. She does appear to be a girl but it is too early to tell gender for sure unless you happen to know if any of her parents were albino?

Super Moderator
Actually, yes, his/her mother is albino :)
If that鈥檚 the case then there鈥檚 no way to tell gender yet; albino is sex linked so travels on the bird equivalent of the X chromosome. Opposite from humans, female birds are XY and males are XX. This means that if her mother was albino, she got a Y chromosome from her mother if she was a girl and therefore the X chromosome carrying the albino gene was from her dad, who could be split for albino on one out of his two X chromosomes. If Yeti is male, then he must have gotten two X chromosomes with the albino gene to show it visually: one from his mom, and the X chromosome with the albino gene from the dad.

To get albino chicks from a clutch where the mother is albino, the father MUST be split. Therefore in this case there鈥檚 no way to tell the gender by mutation :) My initial guess is still on girl, but Yeti will need a couple more weeks of growing before that can be confirmed. I hope to see more photos soon, what a cutie! 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Baby Yeti is good, thinking to change name to Frenchie because we don't know if maybe she has French molt :confused: She lost a tail feather today, we hope she might have some nutritional defficiency or think that maybe she was so scared of her parents that she might have stayed in a corner and bent her tail to that degree that she harmed her feathers... Even with FM, as a runner, she will be dearly loved and we will try to give her the best possible life we can. Hope dies last though and we still hope she doesn't have FM...

Attachments

Super Moderator
The feather does not have a normal end it looks like it broke off and I think I see a small bit of blood on the tip, sort of like a blood feather, can you tell if there is a stub of the feather still in the feather follicle?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The feather does not have a normal end it looks like it broke off and I think I see a small bit of blood on the tip, sort of like a blood feather, can you tell if there is a stub of the feather still in the feather follicle?
I just looked and there is, it seems. Quite a big stub actually. But it's also missing 2 flight feathers from the right wing :unsure: No stub there

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am using the handmix from Versele Laga with some added calcium and biotin, just in case. There were no other birds with any issue - that's again something that makes me wonder if it's indeed FM, as I knew it's contagious 馃し鈥嶁檧锔 So everything about this bird is a mystery to me :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all 鈽 I come with some news on Frenchie (we decided on that name, approved by the bird 馃槀). It's amazing, I only read about cases like these and how rare they are, and yet I lived to see it. Frenchie's diet includes seed, greens and from time to time a bit of handmix still as I read it can be fed to injured or sick birds too. Daily baths in the fountain are a must, s/he looks so peaceful there 鈾 After lots of reading and asking advice, I found out FM is not contagious, so I introduced her (let's say it's a she) to my other budgie. She ended up being good friends with my other budgie, Hughie, but was always more distant somehow, almost looked like she had something on her mind, something she really really reaaaally longs to. And one day, working as usual, I hear a brumbrumbrumbrum. I raise my head, Hughie was in her spot, but Frenchie wasn't. She FLEW!! Frenchie flew!!! Her feathers look better, still not 100% but better, she lost less and less feathers and while still flying like a potato, she does it. I read that very rarely, FM budgies can recover but I had no hopes and still am afraid to hope. But she flies still and doesn't overdo it. I absolutely love that about her, it's like she knows she needs to be careful. Just thought to share an update and share a bit of joy, although I am still reluctant to hope despite everything 馃槄

Attachments

Super Moderator
Great news, it may not be French Molt, it could be that she just got off to a bad start nutritionally and she was under a great deal of stress from being picked on and is now improving under your care. She looks like a little angel in the picture, the way she is holding her wings :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts