Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I had been a member of Talkbudgies back in 2009. After years of no longer having a budgie, I adopted three over the weekend!
It’s been quite some time. I’m looking to reintroduce myself and recommendations. Also, perhaps some advice on sexing. The lutino with red eyes has me stumped.
the cage they came with does not catch seeds and feathers. Any recommendations on a seed catcher that will work for this cage? Or should I spend the money and get one with the built in catcher?
D82A2A15-3D5C-44DB-8B16-CC8F0B275A88.jpeg
D82A2A15-3D5C-44DB-8B16-CC8F0B275A88.jpeg 3556E5D2-EA5D-4D37-B77F-A06A27A8CA5E.jpeg

I will upload better pictures of the new feather kids in a bit :)

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Hello!

I had been a member of Talkbudgies back in 2009. After years of no longer having a budgie, I adopted three over the weekend!
It’s been quite some time. I’m looking to reintroduce myself and recommendations. Also, perhaps some advice on sexing. The lutino with red eyes has me stumped.
the cage they came with does not catch seeds and feathers. Any recommendations on a seed catcher that will work for this cage? Or should I spend the money and get one with the built in catcher? View attachment 256417 View attachment 256417 View attachment 256418 View attachment 256417 View attachment 256418

I will upload better pictures of the new feather kids in a bit :)

Any advice is appreciated!
Hi and welcome back. If you can get a full frontal picture of the Lutino in natural light we can better determine the gender of it. I have a couple of questions about the cage, what is the measurement of the spacing between the bars I cannot tell from the picture but it looks like it may be a bit too wide for budgies and if so they may be able to get their head stuck between the bars. Also right above the door it looks like there may be some rust on the cage, is that correct? Perches of varying diameters such as natural branches should be placed at various levels in the cage and additional swings. I would also put in additional food cups. Most budgies love swings and you may find that there is a disagreement over who gets the one in there now, especially at night. I don't know of a seed catcher that would ft that cage, what are the measurements of the cage?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I will attach a picture I think it’s a female, but I’m not 100% sure.

I believe you are right the spacing on the cage is too big and yes, that is rust. I will be shopping for a new cage today.

I am currently offering food by hand to aid the training process as recommended on birdtricks. They are eating out of my hand every hour.

Thank 64E33812-F786-4C4A-AB47-82FC28736673.jpeg you for the welcome!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! That is the cage I used to have! However, I am looking for something with the seed catcher all around and I am having a heck of a time finding anything like that with the Budgie-sized bar spacing. Do you know if they make seed catchers for those flight cages? If anyone wants to help me shop, I'm in Ontario Canada. Everything is closed because of the pandemic (lockdown again) so will have to have delivery regardless.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
Welcome back to the forums.

Please read the Site Guidelines as much has changed here since the time you were last active.
SITE GUIDELINES

I'd also cut the "tassle" on the string/rope toy down to no more than 1/2"
Dangers of Rope Toys

The cage you chose looks great. Your Lutino is a female and since you have mixed genders, you'll want to be sure you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of your budgies in the days to come. What are their names?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome back to the forums.

Please read the Site Guidelines as much has changed here since the time you were last active.
SITE GUIDELINES

I'd also cut the "tassle" on the string/rope toy down to no more than 1/2"
Dangers of Rope Toys

The cage you chose looks great. Your Lutino is a female and since you have mixed genders, you'll want to be sure you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of your budgies in the days to come. What are their names?
Sorry for the delayed response. Adult life. 😅

The new cage has arrived and they have been LOVING it!

I will trim the rope toy for them as well. Also, have read the sticky on Detering breeding (Do not want that)

Lutino is Maggie
Blue is Archer
And the green is Jude (Yes, Beetles reference)

So far with taming, we have been opening the cage doors and have set up a play gym on top of the cage for them Archer is the only one who will come out on his own accord. I keep millet up there to entice them. My fiance and I have loved having them around. We plan on getting a second cage for the cottage to bring them with us.

They certainly enjoy each other's company more than ours, and that is perfectly okay with us.

We also purchased budgie pellets as well and have been adding that to their diet along with sprouted seeds. No luck with the fresh fruits and veggies as of yet, but we are patient :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.