Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sammy has had episodes of vomiting just a bit (he also started regurgitating this week for me and for his reflection... em, thanks :laugh:) over the past 2 nights. His droppings also range from watery and dark green to normal, but small in size. His behavior is almost normal, with only a few minutes of getting sleepy and then acting normal again.

I took Sammy in to our avian vet last night for a check-up. His weight is normal (41g! :eek:) and his overall condition is good. A fecal swab showed that he had a few megabacteria, but nothing more than a normal healthy budgie might have. Also he had an overgrowth of bacteria and a few yeast clusters, but nothing in his crop and no storing of gas (no fermentation).

I suspect that his move to his new cage might have stressed him a bit, and when Sammy gets stressed and his immune system gets low (despite probiotics), he can often get a bacterial or megabacteria infection. I think that we caught him at what might have become a megabacteria infection.

We've got him on Enzo (antibiotic) twice a day, Flucanazol (for the megas) once a day, and a liver protector.

Please cross your fingers that Sammy gets back to normal quickly. :) I'm really happy that we noticed his very few symptoms quickly and that he hasn't become puffed up and really ill looking!

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! It's so weird, because he doesn't seem to be very sick like in the past. It just seems like he's not "normal." Perhaps it's just that I never noticed when he showed symptoms until they were serious, but I felt a little weird taking him into the vet for "he just doesn't seem normal." (The vet assured me that I should always bring him in if that be the case!)

He's going for millet now, which must mean that his tummy is settling. :clap:

Thanks for the good vibes, and let's all keep them coming ;)

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,192 Posts
Your vet is right by telling you to bring him in if he doesn't seem right. My little golden rule of birdies is, when in doubt, in to the vet!

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
I hope Sammy returns to normal quickly. I know just what you mean about taking them in to the vet when you really can't put a finger on the problem, I do the same. We as their guardians can tell when something is not quite normal. Since things can sometimes get worse very quickly I feel it's always best to go to the vet as soon as you notice a problem.

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Big :hug: :hug: for everyone for your concern! Sammy is better than yesterday and we're hoping his droppings go back to normal after a few more doses of antibiotics / anti-fungals.

Sammy says thank you for all the prayers and good vibes. :budgie:

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Back

When we are alert we give the vet extra ammo to use against invaders. Our Budgies get the extra support they need till they can see the vet. The little guys just get worn out fighting an illness. So keeping those first aid support items on hand helps give them a little energy to fight back. I like it When every Birdy wins. Well Done!! Jo Ann:p

·
Super Moderator
18,252 Posts
Feel better, Sammy dove. Mallorn and I are hoping for a quick recovery! Although he seems to be fighting back like a true soldier :cool:
Its so great that he has such a wonderful owner :budgie::p

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, everyone! Sammy is back to his normal self today, chattering away and wanting to play.

His droppings are normal, so we'll continue with his meds until we see the vet for a follow-up on Tuesday.

Yay for great avian vets! :clap: :clap:

·
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We took Sammy for his follow-up last night, and his fecal smear revealed no megabacterias. The vet said that his droppings were a bit dark, but I think it might be due to the fact that yesterday he ate a lot of parsley and we've changed his seed mix (the old one was no longer available!) and the new one includes dried blueberries.

And the little piglet has gained 2g and is up to a whopping 43g! (The vet's reaction: "Dude, you're as big as a love bird!") Sammy's father was also a very big budgie.

We'll see him in another week for a follow-up x-ray to see if all of the heavy metals have made their way out of his intestine.

Thanks for your support, everyone!

And a funny story: When I give Sammy his medicine, I say "ya está" (we're finished) when I finish. Now, whenever we're doing something he doesn't like - going to the vet, for example - he repeats "ya está! ya está!" :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.