Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybudgie!

Téo, his wonderful daddy (and now my husband) and I are now back from our very long and awesome vacation in Malaysia.

Now is time to get back into our routine (or invent new ones why not) catch up with long-neglected clients and get used to being in winter again. Brrrrr...

Clouds had a surprise for us when we arrived: he's moulting ! His head is covered in pin feathers. The funny side effects of that is that without his big English head he actually looks a lot more like a pet budgie (dare I say also cuter?)

We've also got a surprise for him: I'm already looking for a second bird to keep him company. We haven't told him yet so as not to get him too excited. It's outside normal breeding season at the moment but some local breeders are having hatchlings all year round, so fingers crossed :)

During our trip we had the pleasure to visit the famous Langkawi Bird Paradise, so there will be lots and lots of pictures of stunning exotic birds coming up soon (as soon as I find five minutes to get them online that is).

I have no time today to go through the many many new threads on the forum but I still wanted to say hi.

I hope everyone is well and can't wait to catch up with you lot and you beautiful little friends.

XXX

·
Administrator
60,605 Posts
Yaaaay! :jumping: Welcome Back! :hug:

I hope you had a very wonderful time. :D

We missed you and it will be nice to catch up when you have a chance to settle back into being home. I'm sure you're going to need some time to rest up -- vacations (especially long ones involving weddings) can be quite exhausting!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I have processed them already so what the heck? Here are the pictures from Bird Paradise, including their amazing, mega-massive, walk-in budgie aviary!!!

Karma to the first one to point out which two animals in the series are not actually birds (it is a trick question so make sure you pay attention).
More karma to the first one who is able to name the smaller of the two.

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
So good to have you back...:)

Congrat's on your marriage, may you have a lifetime of true love, and genuine happiness together...:)

Those are awesome pic's, thank you for sharing them with us...:cool:

How exciting that clouds may be getting a little friend...:)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The two animals that are not birds are:
1. Alligator/Crocodile
2. Mouse Deer - the smaller of the two. ;)

Great pictures, Dee!
Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
I keep going back and looking through them trying to choose a "favorite" but... I like them all!
And this is how Miss FaeryBee snatches all the karma :)

·
Super Moderator
20,165 Posts
Dee! I missed you :D

It's great to have you back and it sounds like you had a wonderful time :)

I absolutely :love: loved the bird pictures! I'm going to try and name all of them....this should be interesting...

Uh...

Okay:
Kestrel?
Harpy Eagle
Mynah Bird
Wild Turkey?
Kestrel?
Pied Peacock
Cassowary
Aligator
Duck...Red Duck? Something duck...
Crowned Crane
Crowned Crane again
Téo with an Ibis of sorts
Indian Peacock
Dove....?
Mouse Deer
White diamond dove?
Budgies???? What's a budgie?
A grouse
More "budgies"
Budgies
A dark colored cockatoo?
A flycatcher....that was a very random guess
Sun conure
Wood duck
Flamingo
Blue and Gold macaw...

Goodness, I think I scored a 2/100 :giggle:
I definitely got the budgies!!

This was very amusing and thanks for bearing with me :laughing:

It's wonderful to have you with us again, and best wishes for you and your hubby :D

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
No problems Star. The Palm Cockatoo is native to the far north of Australia and are a magnificent bird. They are also quite rare and not many in captivity at all. I think there are only a couple in captivity in my state. They are very smart and use tools. They will pick up a stick and hit it on a hollow tree to call a mate, by using the stick they can increase the distance their call can be heard. I love Cockatoo's and this is one species I would love to have. But we can all dream.

I have also hand raised a number of Jenday's and Suns. As juveniles they can be quite confusing as they are nearly identical. But Suns can be picked from Jenday's by the yellow patch on the shoulder. When matured and coloured up nearly the whole wing is yellow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dee! I missed you :D

It's great to have you back and it sounds like you had a wonderful time :)

I absolutely :love: loved the bird pictures! I'm going to try and name all of them....this should be interesting...

Uh...

Okay:
Kestrel?
Brahminy Kite

Harpy Eagle
Mynah Bird
Hornbill. But the picture is terrible. There was one living just behind our bungalow but I could never be quick enough to snap a picture of it. They are massive birds. Quite impressive when you see them for the first time.

Wild Turkey?
More like Plain turkey ;) They also had chickens in there. I suppose 'exotic' is a relative notion ;)

Still Brahminy Kite

Pied Peacock
Stunning isn't he? First time I've seen that colour. Not that I am a peacock expert...

Cassowary
A.ka. have-we suddenly-landed-in-jurassic-park?

And funnily, they are not in the walk-in type of enclosure. Nor do they mix them with the rabbits?

Duck...Red Duck? Something duck...
My guess was Mandarin Duck but incorrect. (Anyway I much prefer duck orange.)

Crowned Crane
Crowned Crane again
Téo with an Ibis of sorts
Indian Peacock
Dove....?
Mouse Deer
White diamond dove?

Budgies???? What's a budgie?
I know! They were the highlights of the visit, obviously. Put all these magnificent and weird birds together and what people enjoy most are the budgies :)

It was happily sharing the budgies aviary, btw.

More "budgies"
Budgies
A dark colored cockatoo?
A flycatcher....that was a very random guess
You're still doing much better than me!

Thanks for making up the game. It was fun reading you do it :)

Great pictures Dee. But I do want to know how you got so close to the Cassowary without getting killed or was it a really good zoom lens.
Actually all the birds were really super friendly, including the Cassowaries. This is really as close as this one got to me. I can tell you they can be quite intimidating -but actually really cool and friendly.

This particular place has the (probably disputable) practice to let people feed the birds/animals. They do it right in the way that at every cage/enclosure/aviary entrance they display a picture of the animal, a few facts about it and a picture of the food they eat. You can choose the right food from the bag you get with your ticket at the entrance. It's quite clever in a way but I wonder how they check how much feeding the animals actually get?

It's good to have you back, Dee! Thanks for sharing some of your vacation pictures with us. :D
Thanks! It's really good to be back :)

Welcome back Dee :)
It sounds like you had an amazing time and I can't wait to hear all about the wedding! :D congratulations again :)
Wow I'm sooooooo jealous of the bird experience:p thanks for the beautiful photos :)
I'm sure Clouds is excited to have his family back home :)
Thank you!
We had an amazing (really amazing) time. The way the wedding went was actually magical. Really magical :)
Clouds being in his moult is not his most active or social self but then when is he ever? Never mind, we love him anyway.

Welcome back,Dee!:hug: I hope you had a nice time in Malaysia! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!:)
Thank you! I may post more but it will take some time. Anyway, there are more exciting things to share already... :D

Welcome back Dee. Your photos are wonderful. I love the ones of you feeding the budgerigar's on your hand...
These are Téo's hands (I wish my skin was like that!). He loved it and announced afterwards that there was no way he wanted only one bird!
Hence the exciting news... :D

Yaaaay! :jumping: Welcome Back! :hug:
I hope you had a very wonderful time. :D
We missed you and it will be nice to catch up when you have a chance to settle back into being home. I'm sure you're going to need some time to rest up -- vacations (especially long ones involving weddings) can be quite exhausting!
I'm taking a few days off work first, just so I can get the household started and everyone settled back into their routines. It's amazing how quickly everyone is recuperating though :)

Beautiful pictures :)
Thank you! The credit goes to the birds :)

No problems Star. The Palm Cockatoo is native to the far north of Australia and are a magnificent bird. They are also quite rare and not many in captivity at all. I think there are only a couple in captivity in my state. They are very smart and use tools. They will pick up a stick and hit it on a hollow tree to call a mate, by using the stick they can increase the distance their call can be heard. I love Cockatoo's and this is one species I would love to have. But we can all dream.

I have also hand raised a number of Jenday's and Suns. As juveniles they can be quite confusing as they are nearly identical. But Suns can be picked from Jenday's by the yellow patch on the shoulder. When matured and coloured up nearly the whole wing is yellow.
Wow, cool facts! Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
20,165 Posts
Brahminy Kite
Gosh darn! I was going to guess either kite or kestrel (they're related) :giggle:

Hornbill. But the picture is terrible. There was one living just behind our bungalow but I could never be quick enough to snap a picture of it. They are massive birds. Quite impressive when you see them for the first time.
I looked through my old pictures of mynah birds after I posted this and saw it wasn't a mynah, my other guess would have been hornbill, I'm so annoyed :cool:

More like Plain turkey ;) They also had chickens in there. I suppose 'exotic' is a relative notion ;)
Oh, well, he looks quite exotic ;)

Still Brahminy Kite
Stunning isn't he? First time I've seen that colour. Not that I am a peacock expert...
Funny thing is, the day before yesterday, I randomly ended up on a website where the guy bred show peacocks and I read all about all these random mutations! I thought peacocks only came in blue, green, and white :rolleyes:

A.ka. have-we suddenly-landed-in-jurassic-park?
Yeah, I guess so! :D

And funnily, they are not in the walk-in type of enclosure. Nor do they mix them with the rabbits?
Surprise!

My guess was Mandarin Duck but incorrect. (Anyway I much prefer duck orange.)
Hahaha!

I know! They were the highlights of the visit, obviously. Put all these magnificent and weird birds together and what people enjoy most are the budgies :)
They are such characters, aren't they!

It was happily sharing the budgies aviary, btw.
I bet! They're really chill, related to quail and turkeys, apparently.

You're still doing much better than me!
Not by much :laugh:

Thanks for making up the game. It was fun reading you do it :)
Well you're welcome :eek:

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
I am surprised about that Dee, the Cassowary is a very aggressive bird and can be very dangerous. They use those large feet extremely well and the large centre toe can rip a human apart. At the bird park near me the keepers never go into the Cassowary enclosure alone and never without a broom to fend them off, and theirs have been bred in captivity. During breeding season they are even more dangerous. You really don't want to come across one unexpectedly in the wild I can tell you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.