Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

My budgie, Jim, seems to have hurt himself. I noticed him limping last Thursday night (9 nights ago).

I took him to the vet last Saturday - who seems to think he has strained it. (No X-rays were done) but he had a good feel about and is an avian vet - who does lots of work for the zoo here.

However it hasn't improved any at all. Jim is still happy, chirpy and talking. Still wants out, is pooping normally but is really struggling being one footed. His now 'good' foot is missing the two front toes from birth.

He is struggling to weight bare on it, but will balance on it ever so slightly and will play with his skateboard with it. But he really doesn't want to use it and spends most of his time on one foot.

I contacted the vet again yesterday who suggested giving it another week.

Anyone have any similar experience? Should it take so long for an improvement to start or have any other advice?

Thanks.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I'm glad you have taken Jim to an avian vet already and had a follow up.

You mentioned that Jim is still coming out of his cage and playing with his skateboard. I would suggest in order to assist his healing, you confine him to his cage and limit his activities so that he can allow his foot to heal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was confined but got a little depressed. When we went into his cage he actually pushed past us to get out and have a fly about. He spent 6 days under cage rest but was getting really grouchy and restless. He is happy to be out.

I'm trying to find a happy medium.

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
It is best for Jim for you to "force" him to rest the leg/foot for at least a week.
By using it too much, he is impeding the healing of it.

It is just like when you overuse a muscle and strain it.
If you don't let it heal completely, it will continue to get inflamed, and, over time, the injury will become much more serious.

You can give Jim room temperature chamomile tea (unsweetened) to drink, to bathe in and you can soak his foot/leg in it.
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory and calming properties that may help in his healing process.

I'm moving your thread over to the follow-up section of the forum as Jim's condition is not an emergency situation at this time.

Best wishes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.