Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to learn genetics, so I tried to figure out on my own what Banjo and Sunny's babies will look like. Let me know if I'm wrong or confirm that I'm right! :XD:

Banjo : Normal Light green. Possibly split for opaline and recessive pied. Split for white base (sky blue)
Sunny : Yellow based dark eyed clear. Split for recessive pied and clearflight pied.

In regards to recessive pied: If Banjo IS NOT split for recessive pied, then 100% will be normal and 50% will be split for recessive pied.
If Banjo IS split for recessive pied, then 25% will be normal, 25% will be recessive pied, and 50% will be normal split for recessive pied.

In regards to opaline: If Banjo IS NOT split for opaline, then 100% will be normal. If Banjo IS split for opaline, then 50% of the females will be normal and 50% will be opaline. 50% of the males will be normal and 50% will be split for opaline.

In regards to clearflight pied: Sunny IS split for Clearflight pied which is dominant over the normal trait, so 50% will be clearflight pied split for normal and 50% will be normal.

In regards to color: Banjo is a normal light green that is split for a white-base (sky blue) but I do not know if Sunny is split for another color. So, with what I know, 100% of the babies will be light green, and 50% will be split for white base (Sky blue).

Right?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
You're mostly on the right track except for a couple of points:

A dark eyed clear is both clearflight pied and recessive pied, it is not split for either mutation.

If Sunny is a dark eyed clear all the chicks will inherit a recessive pied gene and half will be clearflight pied.

If a green bird is split for blue (white base) the shade of blue doesn't make any difference

NOTE: Many birds are incorrectly identified as dark eyed clear when they are actually double factor spangle recessive pied

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're mostly on the right track except for a couple of points:

A dark eyed clear is both clearflight pied and recessive pied, it is not split for either mutation.

If Sunny is a dark eyed clear all the chicks will inherit a recessive pied gene and half will be clearflight pied.

If a green bird is split for blue (white base) the shade of blue doesn't make any difference

NOTE: Many birds are incorrectly identified as dark eyed clear when they are actually double factor spangle recessive pied
Ooh Okay, so she isn't split for it. She's completely both. Got it. And I've had her for a few months and her irises haven't darkened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.