Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basic Granny Square Tutorial

6K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  4711 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all :) Here is a photo tutorial on how to make a basic granny square. This tutorial shows step by step of how to make 3 rounds. This particular square measures about 5 inches.

You can continue these instructions to make a full sized afghan, or you can choose to make smaller squares and sew them together to make a patchwork-type afghan :) It's a lot of fun and there are TONS of different options to do with this.

Here is the pattern in pdf form:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=S*q-n0tKG3XYjBe5oFyAyQ

If you don't have an adobe account (it's free) you can sign up for one here and you should be able to download my pdf's and save them to your computer:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/SignIn.html?

If you're still having issues seeing the pdf, you can email me at jkrochetdesigns@gmail.com or jill.a.kap@gmail.com and I can email it to you :)

ADDED: Here is a video tutorial (I'm moving on up with my technology! :D ) showing how to join a new color! Hope this helps :)

Let me know if there are any questions AT ALL! I am here to help :D Happy Crocheting! Oh and don't forget to weave in your ends afterwards! :p

See less See more
#5 ·
No it's perfect!! :clap: Great job!

I'll give you a little hint... crochet projects always look uglier at the beginning and then get prettier :) So don't worry if your pieces don't lay flat or if you're "square" blanket looks like it's psychedelically rotating to the left :giggle: It happens to all of us! Just keep swimming... just keep swimming...

#6 ·
yes!

very nice!, now keep at it. We check back with you when it has 23 feet sides! ;)

the 'perfect' shape comes after you finish it.
It's called blocking. but it's not necessary unless you make doilies or models for magazines. :)

and it looks more like what you are going after when you have more rounds going, too!

#20 ·
Dee you're doing a great job! :) When you are doing round 2 on your squares (and every round after) you only need to work your stitches in the spaces, not in the actual stitches from the previous round. Also, you are doing 3 chains in between all groups there and you only need to make the chain 3 for the corners :) If you're still confused, I can do another video of the square from the beginning!

Love your pet mat! Make sure you are counting your stitches because I have had issues where my piece slowly narrows because I am leaving out stitches in my rows :p

#26 ·
I just had to refresh my memory on the pattern - I have a small stack of the squares, but had gone lazy for a few month. :)
I think I got it saved now - among the other thousands of pages of PDFs I filed 'for future reference' (yeah, right! :giggle:)

Just figured the crochet constituency would like a heads up.

#28 ·
I know! I have a stack of old magazines to my right, a few books as well, and more in another box in the bedroom!

but you never know when you need the inspiration (and I agree, it's relaxing!)
I need to finish one thing off though, then maybe dive into sewing. After all, I did make (start) that lace to be sewn into a dress! (but gawd, it takes 15 yards of fabric! Good Lord, that's a lot of money!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.