Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some mutations have characteristically orange beaks, right? Would this be apparent in featherless chicks as well?

As in, could you predict a chick's mutation in the nest by beak and feet color, or does this change as the chick ages?

...I guess it would help to know WHICH mutations have orange beaks as well. :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this true in the really early days also?

I have a one week old chick who seems to have an orange beak (not that I've ever had a really good look). Could this chick be recessive pied? I can't guess from the parents since I don't have a clue what they're split for.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a yellow face DF spangle hen with an 'orange' beak, but her DF spangle brother has a 'normal' beak.

I've never really thought of what difference the beak colour could have, but I just found some information that says that albinos in particular have orange (called 'clear') beaks and pink feet because of the lack of pigment, and that makes sense.

As to other mutations, not so much to me. I just found a post on another forum where a member carried out an investigation on their flock of budgies in regards to beak and feet color. Every one of their birds with orange beaks that they had bred were split or visual recessive pieds. The parents of my orange beaked hen don't show recessive pied, but I guess they could be split for it. And guess that means that your chick could be at least split for it.

Now that you've brought it up, I'm going to have to go and do some research.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Albinos, lutinos, fallows and recessive pieds have orange beaks.

Often birds of other mutations will also have orange beaks so you can't just use the beak color to assess the mutation

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh, well that theory about orange beaks potentially indicating split for recessive pied is fascinating. :) Of my seven adult birds, the four females have orange beaks. 2 are RP's and 1 is albino. The last is a sky blue dominant pied, whose beak is orange, yet darker at the top like the normal "horn" beak. This could be completely meaningless, but perhaps I'll test this on her in the future. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most budgies have greenish yellow beaks, while fledling chicks have orange beaks, tipped dark brown, but I have 8 month old budgie in adult plumage, had black eyes, while I had a 4 month old budgie still had a orange beak.

My 2nd budgie a male single factor yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt normal, had orangish horn-coloured beak, with black tip, on 19th March 1991, and one month later the beak were greenish yellow on 22nd April 1991.
Eye iris were blackish grey on 19th March 1991, dark grey 7 days later, grey 14 days later, then silver on 22nd April and white few weeks later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.