Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that our little prince's beak is getting greener, even brownish I think. It's scares me a lot.
But Taris (it is his name) is very happy, eats a lot, flies as well, looks healthy, acts normally. He lives in our house and flies freely, it's cage is only for sleeping and eating.
I'm adding a photo. The first one is two years ago 2020 July, the second is taken today.
Thanks' for reply.
Bird Wood Beak Parrot Floor
Bird Beak Parrot Macaw Feather

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forums,

Your boy is very handsome!

Budgie beaks can range from orange to yellow to the greenish horn color you can see on your budgie's beak. His beak itself looks normal and is not a cause for concern. However, what is concerning is that it appears his cere now has some brown spots on it. This is not normal for males (and your budgie is DEFINITELY male) as it can indicate a hormonal problem that needs to be resolved. Therefore you should make him a vet appointment as soon as you are able!

Meanwhile, it's great to have you on the forums and you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices. Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and stickies! If you have any questions after reading through things, be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Hope to see you around and hear updates on your boy!

馃憢

Administrator
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Prince is a very handsome budgie!

I agree with StarlingWings 100%.
Prince needs to be seen by an Avian Veterinarian to determine the cause of the change in his cere color.
When a male budgie's cere begins to turn brown, it is due to a hormonal problem and must be addressed as testicular cancer is a risk.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads 鈥渟tuck鈥 at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

Registered
Never seen anything like this. I can't tell if it's some type of dried discharge or if the cere is actually changing colors. Is trying to clean it an option to see? If this is something that may happen to males, I'm interested in learning what to do about it as well.

Super Moderator
Never seen anything like this. I can't tell if it's some type of dried discharge or if the cere is actually changing colors. Is trying to clean it an option to see? If this is something that may happen to males, I'm interested in learning what to do about it as well.
It may or may not be the case here but when you see a male's blue cere begin to turn brown, sometimes referred to as feminizing, it can be an indication of a testicular tumor. The tumor will produce female hormones causing the cere to turn brownish, similar to when a hen is in breeding condition, sometimes a Lupron injection can help curb the hormones.

Registered
It may or may not be the case here but when you see a male's blue cere begin to turn brown, sometimes referred to as feminizing, it can be an indication of a testicular tumor. The tumor will produce female hormones causing the cere to turn brownish, similar to when a hen is in breeding condition, sometimes a Lupron injection can help curb the hormones.
Ok, that makes sense. Similar to how some little boys may get a "chest" beginning to grow for the same reason. I just couldn't tell if it just needed cleaned or not. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts